• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin - Live iso?

Started by ssfc72, January 09, 2019, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I am wondering if this is a permissions issue of where VMware is placing the machine on the drive. Two suggestions, if you're not already, make sure you run VMware Workstation Player as a non-root user and that when you creating a VM to install a distro, make sure the files are on that user's home drive. I got this idea from this thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/305983

Though the original post is old, it has been commented on over the years and the most recent reply says that the thread helped a user using Linux Mint.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BusterE

So Bill, I hope you haven't deleted everything!!!!!!

Got to /home and find the vmware folder. Open this file and RIGHT CLICK on the file you wish to boot, in this case the .vmx file.

You will be able to work it out from there  :)  :)  :)

No idea why this works. Magic.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

ssfc72

Thanks Jason and Buster, for your help!

Buster, your work around, of going into the file manager vmware folder and right clicking on the .vmx file, did bring up the Guest OS.
A real dirty way, to have to boot up a virtual Guest OS, but it works.

I am going to take one of my dual booting notebooks, image the drive, and then do a fresh install of a Linux distro, only.  I will let the Linux install, wipe the drive, so there is no other OS, on the drive.
I suspect this might get the Linux vmware player, to work properly.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Got this from the link in Jason's post:

The file /home/user/.local/share/recently-used.xbel will be emptied from time to time and every time you log out, thus the library / list of VMs will be lost.

This only happens if you have deactivated 'Record file & application usage' in Ubuntu System Settings 'All Settings / Security & Privacy / Files & Applications'.

If you activate 'Record file & application usage' your list of VMs will not be lost anymore, as the file 'recently-used.xbel' will no longer be emptied.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

BusterE

STOP DOING ALL THAT WORK BILL!

In your host Mint use the menu to go to

'preferences', then 'privacy'.

Turn the switch to 'on'.

Boot your guest using the backdoor method I found. After it works, shut the guest down. Now reboot your Mint. When it is up and running

open your VMWare and look on the left. Real magic this time.

Thanks go to Jason for finding the thread, and Harry for implementing it. Cash donations acceptable.

ssfc72

Yess!!   Works great now!

Thank you Buster and Jason!

I am now running Deepin and MXLinux as Virtual machines, using VMWare player, with Mint 18.3 as a Host machine.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

BusterE

So the problem seems to have been specific to the Mint defaults. Awfully tough to find.

So Bill, did you get full screen working for MX Linux ? (Took me awhile.) Drag and drop works in both? Sometimes copy/paste is needed instead with Xfce I found..

And now the big questions: Do you like the 2 distros? And do you find working in a virtual machine quite alright?

ssfc72

MXLinux kept starting up at a lowly 800X600 resolution.  :-(
Took a lot of messing with the Display setting resolution, to get an acceptal high resolution.
Even then it wasn t quite right.
I did get mxlinux to run full screen.
I didn t do much other testing. ( MXLinux works very well from a usb pendrive, as a Live version)

Deepin works beautifully. Full screen resolution, right fron the get go.

I am very impressed with vmware player! Very slick!

I appreciate your list of benefits of using and running a virtual machine.

Jason

Glad you figured it out, Bill.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

More to add to the saga.

On my old, old computer I have 2 hard drives. One has Mint 19.1, and it is the ssd, and the other has Win 7 on a regular laptop hard drive. Both have VMWare 15, one designed for Linux, and one for Windows. Both of these have the latest Deepin installed.

And on each machine I installed my test software, ExtremeTuxRacer.

I works really well on Windows 7. It doesn't work, other than going down a hill and banging into trees, on Mint.

You would think they would perform equally well - same hardware, same ram. And Mint has the faster ssd.

Jason

Did you check to see if VMware WS Player used the same settings for each?

buster

The only think I know for sure is that 1 core is used and 2048 is selected for ram. Didn't notice anything else. And video card ram is not negotiable in VMWare.

Quite surprised me. And the difference is noticeable. No difference for anything else, like the winning celebration in Kpat. Or general use.

Jason

Quote from: buster on January 13, 2019, 10:22:05 PM
Quite surprised me. And the difference is noticeable. No difference for anything else, like the winning celebration in Kpat. Or general use.

Don't know about VMware with Windows but you most certainly can adjust video RAM in the Linux version as you can see below. My guess is that the Windows player is using 3D acceleration by default and the Linux player isn't, judging by your description.

buster

So I checked deepin in old machine Mint, old machine Win7, and laptop win10. All 3 have identical display settings including 3D checked, and 768 mbs graphics memory. I did none of this. Just defaults.

So even more surprising.

buster

Bill wrote:

"Took a lot of messing with the Display setting resolution, to get an acceptal high resolution.
Even then it wasn t quite right.
I did get mxlinux to run full screen.
I didn t do much other testing. ( MXLinux works very well from a usb pendrive, as a Live version)"

To make sure it runs full screen just as deepin does follow these simple steps:
1. While in MX Linux open Synaptic, and no other package manager.
2. Make sure you find the 'search' at the  top, not the one beside it, and type in 'vmware' and search.
3. Scroll down the results and find these two things and install them: open-vm-tools, open-vm-tools-desktop.
4. Maybe log out and in.
5. Try the full screen button in VMWare.