• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin - Live iso?

Started by ssfc72, January 09, 2019, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

I also don't know much about setting up ram allocation for video in VirtualBox, but Jason can advise on that if you're not sure. But I'm pretty sure it needs a fair bit.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

If you are actually using Deepin (or MX Linux), what is the advantage of installing these on virtual machines? They should run faster on bare metal and you wouldn't have to boot Windows to do so. Or is there an issue with drivers?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Well, we have discussed this before Mike  :) But you have to keep in mind that my primary system, which I like, is Win 10. It's doubtful that will change because of the specific software I use, and my affection for Win10.

Second, I like and need a Linux system for a number of reasons, some of them specific to Linux.

Third, I like to be able to have windows to both systems open on the screen at the same time, side by side, for drag and drop often, but other things as well. This can only be done with a virtual machine. My laptop has a Linux and a Win10 system running together most of every day when I'm not traveling.

Four, I never have to deal with Grub, or partitioning, like ever.

Five, removing a Linux system is the same as discarding an email. Right click and delete. No consequences.

Six, installing a distro is easy and a matter of say 20 minutes. And if I mess up the install, right click good bye.

Seven, the Linux systems are not slow and clunky anymore in virtual. At least not in VMWare.

There are more reasons, but I do not wish to wear out my welcome.  ;D

ssfc72

Thanks Buster!  I tried installing vmware player in lubuntu  but immediately ran into a sudo su problem. Lubuntu said the suduuser file did not have the user.
I will see if i can resolve this problem.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

I've never been able to install VMWare in Linux. VirtualBox is available and should be easy to find in your software download tool, like Synapic. And many in the club can lead you through using it, though there may be a really good outline somewhere on the web.

Jason

Is the user account not setup with administrative privileges? If not, that's the problem. Lookup how to add this user account, or another if you prefer, to the sudoers file. It's not that difficult and I can walk you through it if you're really stuck.

Personally, I haven't had much success with VMware Player in Linux (specifically Ubuntu derivatives) but I haven't really tried very hard as Virtualbox works well so it wasn't something I wanted to spend much time playing with. I think that Fox has done it in Linux though. This guide might help.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BusterE

Holy crap Jason, that guide was @#$%^ awesome! For the first time I have a VMWare on this old Linux machine! Never managed that before.

#1. It is actually different visually. But solid and comfortable after some poking about.
#2. My old machine is probably too old to do virtual, but it is exciting and easy to set up VMWare.

20 years you have been helping people Jason. Thanks from all of us.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

Glad it worked out. I hadn't actually tried it but it was recent enough I thought it might work. I was just lucky. But you're welcome.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

So the VMWare install into Linux went smoothly with the steps given to us. Very easy. Using the VMWare software is not difficult, though different, whether you used VirtualBox or VMWare in Windows. The result for me was a 'fully' functioning Linux Lite install into an 'older' computer running Mint 19 - something like 11 years old. The age is significant. My test apps responded differently. Kpat worked quite well, with no noticeable problems. Poor Tuxracer however kept ending up in the woods bumping into trees because the keyboard commands were delayed while the cpu processed them and the graphics.

The only significant thing I had to do was install open vm desktop stuff so that drag and drop worked between host/guest. (Because the guest was Xfce, I had to use copy paste to get the job done actually.)

One problem that I had because of the old equipment was the sound of the  music was sort of staticky (sp?).

I doubt that any of the problems mentioned were related to VMWare, but rather to the hardware.

Simple to use. Worth a try when you find time weighing heavily on your hands.

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 10, 2019, 04:22:13 PM
Personally, I haven't had much success with VMware Player in Linux (specifically Ubuntu derivatives) but I haven't really tried very hard as Virtualbox works well so it wasn't something I wanted to spend much time playing with. I think that Fox has done it in Linux though. ....
Yes, I did work with VMware Player in Linux, to set up a MacOS virtual machine. I did that in order to transfer a VM of an older version of MacOSX that I created with VMware Fusion on a Mac. I used it on the Mac to run older software that was no longer compatible with the newer operating system. The VM actually worked in Player on Ubuntu, but it took some tweaking. It's even harder to set up a VM of the MacOS on a PC running Linux, but I was able to do that as well. I did both just to see if I could do it. All of my Macs are now dual boot, so if I need to run Mac software, I just boot onto the Mac side. (Unlike Harry  :P)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I should mention also, if you wish to run full screen in virtual as I usually do, you need the 'vm open desktop whatever' software that's easy to get in something like Synaptic. Needed also for drag and drop. After a reboot, just reduce the size of the virtual window, and then make it full screen, and it finds what's going on and gives you a full screen just like a real install.

And have any of you noticed, when it comes to computers, how old fashioned Mike is becoming?  :)

Jason

Actually was able to get VMware Workstation Player in the last hour or so on Linux. I remember now that I was able to do it before but when I would reopen the Player, whatever I installed no longer showed up in the menu. Seems they've fixed that issue. And I installed Deepin successfully.

Programs are coming up slowly I notice even though I turned on 3D acceleration and set the RAM to 256 MB which should be more than enough. Also gave it 4 GB of RAM and set it to 2 processors. Mind you I did choose the fancy graphics on startup. Probably not the right choice there. This problem with applications starting up slowly seems to have fixed itself after a reboot of Deepin.

My first thoughts on Deepin is that it looks great, very professional except for some of the terrible translations to English where you see details on something. Their own app store seems to have lots of programs that I've never seen before and for a software manager, it looks pretty good with a lot of choices. And of course I love that they chose Chrome as their default browser. The sidebar on the right-hand side doesn't really impress me that much as the area for settings but others may love it. It was also great that they give you a choice of a more classical look with a bottom taskbar and "start menu" like with Windows or the mac-esque plank and the gnome-like program icons launcher. They also give you a choice of several different icon sets.

Apparently the VMware tools were automatically installed? The only option is to re-install them so I presume so. Haven't tried drag and drop but I notice that full-screen was available to me right away in Kubuntu without installing anything else.

buster

I would think a fancy desktop in virtual is asking for a molasses shower. It should respond the same way any desktop would if you aren't in virual. I don't have the 'corners' active  for example. And I found drag and drop worked out of the box.

Jason

Wait, so you do or don't need the 'vm open desktop whatever' for drag and drop to work assuming you meant between guest and host in each case you mentioned it?

buster

Well, my install in of deepin in vmware in windows didn't need anything. My install of Lite in vmware in linux did. I've installed deepen over the last couple of years maybe 5 or 6 times. It always just worked. Drag and drop works right away with some distros, and others require poking about to get it to work. Since your resolution worked, d&d should too.