• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin - Live iso?

Started by ssfc72, January 09, 2019, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Just an add on to the deepin/windows saga.

Graphics performance can be a challenge for virtual distros in software that usually isn't designed for playing visual games. Just for my own information, I tested TuxRacer without snow falling and with a light snow falling. Just this extra bit of graphics used enough resources that I could see the difference in response on the screen to keyboard commands.

Surprised me, yet it makes sense.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I'm not surprised; there is a performance penalty for operating virtual machines. :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on January 10, 2019, 11:38:53 PM
Well, my install in of deepin in vmware in windows didn't need anything. My install of Lite in vmware in linux did. I've installed deepen over the last couple of years maybe 5 or 6 times. It always just worked. Drag and drop works right away with some distros, and others require poking about to get it to work. Since your resolution worked, d&d should too.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Regarding performance, I actually updated my post using the cross-out font to show that after a subsequent reboot in Deepin, performance was fine, no slowness. I think I updated VMware just before that too and so that might have had something to do with it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Success with Deepin as a virtual machine (using vmware player with 2 G ram set for the guest OS) and Mint 18.3 as the host. Running on my HP 12" notebook, 4 G ram, Intel Pentium N3700 cpu.

I had an initial failure of vmware to start the guest OS.  It said the  Intel VM virtual machine setting was not present. Vmware said to check the computer BIOS for the Intel VM setting, to be turned on.
Went into the BIOS and there was a VM setting disabled, so I enabled that.
Vmware then had no problem installing Deepin.

I selected all the vmware defaults except the Ram.  It chose 512 MB. I set itfor 2 G ram.
I left the single core as the default.  I will try setting it for 2 Cores, on the next try.

Deepin runs full screen, just fine.
I can drag and drop files between Mint 18.3 and Deepin.

Wifi works.

Posting this message from the virtual Deepin distro.

Update -  Oops!  The Deepin virtual won't start, now that I have tried to boot it up, again. :-( :-(
I clicked on the deepin.vmx file and nothing happens.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Good job getting it working, Bill!
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Bill wrote, "I clicked on the deepin.vmx file and nothing happens."

If you're doing what I think you are, it shouldn't happen.

Humour me and try this:

Click on the programs and open VMWare Workstation Player
Inside on the left of VMWare's opening page, click on Deepin 15.8 or whatever you called it.
The right hand side of the page will shortly, if not immediately, show an option to play virtual machine.
Click this.

ssfc72

Ok, I start up vmware, it opens with options on the right hand side to Create a Virtual Machine or to Open a Virtual Machine.
I click on, Open a Virtual Machine.
This brings up a File Manager, with the Deepin Folder.
I click on the Open icon, in the File Manager and this tales me to the deepin.vmx file
I click on the Open icon, in the File Manager and it just takes me back to the main VMware menu with the options to either Create a VM or to Open a VM.

I will try to do a virtual MXLinux install.

I suspect I may have to delete the VMware program and try to install VMware for Linux, again

Update - same problem with the install of MXLinux.  The virtual MXLinux installs and runs ok, but when I shut the Guest down and try to boot it again, nothing happens. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

You're doing it wrong, Bill.

You should see a list of distro(s) you have installed as VMs on the left-hand side like you can see in my attachment.

You don't click on the 'Open Virtual Machine' on the right. That's for adding virtual machines that you didn't install through VMware (basically like importing them).

Instead you click on the distro on the left-hand side which will show up after it's been installed, and then click on it and then Power On at the bottom of the new screen that appears in the right-pane or just double click it. In the attachment below the first you can see what happens after I click on Deepin in the list on the left.

BusterE

I'm not sure what's going on, but my Linux install of vmware does exactly what Bill's does. Nothing shows on the left when I open vmware. I also am in mint as host, though I installed Lite. Worked well yesterday. Considering putting another distro in so there are two and the machine has to put up the choices, maybe......
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

BusterE

Don't know what to say Bill. The picture Jason gets is what I have in windows. On my Linux machine, neither install shows on the left or works with clicks on the right.

I suspect Mint. But mine doesn't work.

Since you have the isos, try VirtualBox. That should work.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

I had that happen before, Buster. But I thought it was some bug that they had resolved. I'm not sure what, if anything, I did different this time around for it to work.

Just so we're working on the same version of VMware Workstation Player, I downloaded 15.0.2 version for Linux from here. And then when I installed it, instead of using 'su root' as suggested in the documentation, I used sudo instead to install it at a terminal prompt (like this):

sudo ./VMware-Player-15.0.2-10952284.x86_64.bundle

Trying to login to root via 'su root' isn't going to work on most distros because root isn't enabled. It's kind of stupid that they suggest that in the documentation, honestly. But if you still can't get it working, I'd just suggest going with Virtualbox as Buster mentioned.

I really don't know notice much difference between them other than that VMware looks more elegant and can handle installs for you without you having to do anything in some cases. Virtualbox also has a snapshot feature that I like. You can save the state it is in and roll it back, if necessary.

ssfc72

I am having the same issue as what Buster is finding, on his vmware Linux Host.
After the install of a virtual guest OS, the only thing that shows up, on the left side of the main vmware menu, if the Home folder.
No virtual OS folders, show up below the Home folder. :-(

buster

Installing in VirtualBox as i also do other tasks around the house. May try the sudo, but I must say it did install so I doubt that is the issue.

ssfc72

I removed the install of vmware and tried Jason's command (green highlight)
The command did not work for me.

I had to use the command -
sudo sh VMware-Player-15.0.2-10952284.x86_64.bundle

This worked for the install of vmware, again.

It was a waste of time!
  The installed guest OS, runs fine, but again, there is nothing showing, below the Home folder in the main vmware player menu, when I try to run the  guest OS, a second time. :-(

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 12, 2019, 06:51:04 PM
I had that happen before, Buster. But I thought it was some bug that they had resolved. I'm not sure what, if anything, I did different this time around for it to work.

Just so we're working on the same version of VMware Workstation Player, I downloaded 15.0.2 version for Linux from here. And then when I installed it, instead of using 'su root' as suggested in the documentation, I used sudo instead to install it at a terminal prompt (like this):

sudo ./VMware-Player-15.0.2-10952284.x86_64.bundle

Trying to login to root via 'su root' isn't going to work on most distros because root isn't enabled. It's kind of stupid that they suggest that in the documentation, honestly. But if you still can't get it working, I'd just suggest going with Virtualbox as Buster mentioned.

I really don't know notice much difference between them other than that VMware looks more elegant and can handle installs for you without you having to do anything in some cases. Virtualbox also has a snapshot feature that I like. You can save the state it is in and roll it back, if necessary.

Jason

My post wasn't just about the command which you guys probably did correctly but also to make sure you have the latest version. Sometimes people download VMware from other websites and it's not the same version. Just wanted to make sure you had the latest version.

And you were write about the command - it should have been sudo sh, not just sudo. I think if you chmod +x the file, you can just use sudo and that was actually what I did before. That's just so that it's recognized as an executable script.

If you have the latest version and you're still having issues, I'm not sure what else to suggest other than the fact that VMware seemed to have updates after I installed it. Click on Help -> Software Updates and then Check For Updates and install them if there are any.