• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MX Linux 18

Started by fox, December 18, 2018, 07:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Mike wrote: " tried to add USB 2 or 3 capability with the settings. It added either but noted that the setting was invalid, and the vm wouldn't boot with either of those settings. "

You work too hard Mike, that's your problem. :)

I almost always choose to do nothing until something doesn't work. After it shows a flaw, I try to fix or modify.So...
a) drag amd drop and full screen didn't work, so I downloaded guest modules
b) you asked about the usb connection, so I tested it with  usb stick, and it worked already. If that has been handled by the software, I show respect and step away.

I never changed anything. And wont as long as it functions.

One other comment, usually I work in full screen with a vm. If it's just a window on the screen, suspect that changes things for hardware.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Quote from: buster on January 21, 2019, 01:03:55 PM
b) you asked about the usb connection, so I tested it with  usb stick, and it worked already. If that has been handled by the software, I show respect and step away.

I never changed anything. And wont as long as it functions.
Then you probably wouldn't know whether USB 2 and 3 capability actually functions in the vm because even if you only have USB 1 capability, a USB 2 or 3 stick will still work. (It just won't work at the faster USB 2 or 3 specification.) It's also possible that the full speed capability works with the VMware Player additions, but it doesn't seem to in Virtualbox. Not that it's a big deal. One can always copy over data files by accessing them from the host desktop from the vm. But yes, I work harder than I need to when I'm as interested in learning something as I am in just making something work. :)

One of the other things I just learned is that USB 2 and 3 didn't work in a Windows 7 guest either. I was quite surprised about that. But one of the advantages of "working harder" is I'm less likely to "show respect and step away" when I think something isn't right. In this case, I finally found out that there is another Virtualbox program called the Virtualbox Extension Pack which does enable full USB 2 and 3 functioning. I downloaded the version matching my Virtualbox version from the Oracle VB website. Clicking on that file installs the extension pack into Virtualbox, and it isn't vm-specific. Once I did that, USB 2 and 3 could be enabled in the settings of either of my vms.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Mike wrote: " I work harder than I need to when I'm as interested in learning "

I would like to learn more, but my brain is full.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.