• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The 5 Best Distros of 2018

Started by buster, January 08, 2019, 01:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

This article gives a well written, reasonably short survey  of his picks for the best distros of the past year. Interesting reading, and the favourable reference to Plasma happens to agree with my opinion too. I agree with his #1 too, though I would change the desktop environment.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/best-distro-2018.html
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

Noticed the absence of deepin in the list, which has solved its only major problem while in virtual - its heavy use of resources. Installed the latest and during the process, just like HAL, it says, "You are installing in a virtual machine. Check this box, and this one..." Actually, it only wrote, but the suggestions produced maybe the quickest and smoothest distro of my 5 virtual installs.

Very impressive! Still very attractive and easy. And so far everything works - about a week's use.

Jason

Quote from: buster on January 08, 2019, 01:00:49 PM
I agree with his #1 too, though I would change the desktop environment.

Not surprised you liked his pick of MX Linux as the top one :) But what desktop environment would you change it to? I thought you liked Xfce.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

" But what desktop environment would you change it to? "

KDE, though I love their implementation of Xfce. I change each day which I like most. At the moment it's KDE.