• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Latest Linux Mint Upgrade to 22 a Pleasure Though Long Procedure

Started by buster, August 17, 2024, 07:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Quote from: Jason on September 15, 2024, 04:30:16 AMIf you've already done that, wouldn't you restore your home files from your backup? Or is your backup of the entire drive?
I still have a partition with Mint 21.3. I have a backup of it with TimeShift, but not a specific backup of my Home folder. (Note that the Home folder is not on a separate partition.) Can I then go to the Mint 22 partition (also without the Home folder on a separate partition) and restore just the Home folder from Mint 21.3? If not, what if I made a backup of just the Home folder on Mint 23 with a program like Backup? Could I then "restore" that folder in Mint 22?

Interestingly, I now have good reason not to get rid of the Mint 21.3 partition. I have a piece of statistical software called JMP on it; a very old version that works on Linux (with certain old 32 bit libraries installed). Getting that to work in Mint 22 would take a lot of work, unless those libraries transfer over with the Home folder, so I would keep 21.3 just for that program.

I believe I can back up that Home folder with software called Backup?
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on September 15, 2024, 07:36:32 AMI still have a partition with Mint 21.3. I have a backup of it with TimeShift, but not a specific backup of my Home folder. (Note that the Home folder is not on a separate partition.) Can I then go to the Mint 22 partition (also without the Home folder on a separate partition) and restore just the Home folder from Mint 21.3? If not, what if I made a backup of just the Home folder on Mint 23 with a program like Backup? Could I then "restore" that folder in Mint 22?

I believe so. Your backup of /home will copy over the existing files in /home So settings will be replaced, too, unless you choose just your files. Since files will have permissions intact, you should create an account with the same username. But you can fix this later if necessary. Let me know if you have permission issues after restoring or if stuff doesn't have the proper settings, etc. It could be a permission issue.

QuoteI believe I can back up that Home folder with software called Backup?

Yep. But you will have to use that program to restore it as well. It zips the files and breaks them into chunks so you can't copy them back using the file manager. If you don't need the files to be compressed, it's probably easier to copy the files as is to a flash drive. Once you're set back up, use it to back up the personal folder regularly. It can do it automatically if you leave a flash drive inserted. It's incremental so it's fast. Unless you change a lot of big files a lot.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13