• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Antergos Linux to be discontinued

Started by fox, May 26, 2019, 10:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Antergos is an Arch derivative that, unfortunately, will be shutting down. You can read about it here. I never used it, but it was a highly regarded distro, maintained by a small number of developers. This is frequently the problem with small projects. But the developers have left a pathway for continued use and transition over to Arch or whatever arises in its ashes.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

cod3poet

Good there can be only one, we must keep the bloodlines pure.  (I kid it's understandable though for small projects)
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

It was always one that I meant to try out but never got around to doing so.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: cod3poet on May 27, 2019, 08:37:56 AM
Good there can be only one, we must keep the bloodlines pure.  (I kid it's understandable though for small projects)

Lol. I think you're out of luck on that one. I found this chart that has user-rated ratings of many Arch-based distros. Looks like Antergos is right up there too.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"It was always one that I meant to try out but never got around to doing so."

Not sure if I tried it. (Did try Manjaro a few times, but there was always some problem or other that annoyed me.) The latest review was bad by the way for Antergos, in  April a year ago.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/antergos-18-3.html

A lot of work to maintain a distro that is probably marginal - an easy way into Arch. (If you like easy, you've got at east 20 distro choices. If you want to build from the ground up, you've got Gentoo and Arch.) People working on the distro have to know and probably use Arch. But they have to spend months of work creating a distro whose ease of installation and use satisfies someone like me.

Their final statement is worth reading, and you can still grab the download and try it, for it will ultimately slide over into Arch:

https://antergos.com/blog/antergos-linux-project-ends/

Note added: Antergos does not give you a pure Arch. You will get updates monthly i think, rather than rolling. At least that's my understanding. HOWEVER, apparently there is a way to change the repositories, and maybe the update/upgrade process, and you get Arch. Some Linux wizz might like to find out how and demonstrate it, or at least post it.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on May 27, 2019, 10:40:02 AM
Note added: Antergos does not give you a pure Arch. You will get updates monthly i think, rather than rolling. At least that's my understanding. HOWEVER, apparently there is a way to change the repositories, and maybe the update/upgrade process, and you get Arch. Some Linux wizz might like to find out how and demonstrate it, or at least post it.

It will give you pure arch once they've removed their own repositories, I believe. It sounds like they're saying they will removing the Antergos-specific things so that in the end, you'll have Arch and you'll be updating directly via AUR (the Arch User Repository).