• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Plug Meeting - May 6th

Started by cod3poet, April 17, 2019, 09:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cod3poet

Happy spring!

As there is no formal agenda I am more than happy to take suggestions. I would gladly volunteer for another free-form Q&A Session if we do not have a topic to present. For this meeting tell your friends see if you can bring a new face or two or ten out.

If we end up with a plan I'll update the announcement and send out a followup email.

UPDATE:

There will be two topics presented by past President, Jason Wallwork. The long-awaited presentation of passwords and 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication) will be joined with a look at Gentoo Linux, a distribution that uses packages built from source.

Also as a reminder membership renewals are up this year, so if you can show up with $25 in cash or Cheques payable to Peterborough Linux Users Group that would be much appreciated.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

We need to take membership renewals in May as well.

I'll also try and think of a presentation concept. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'll be uploading the slideshow for the presentation on 2FA and Password Managers.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on April 17, 2019, 10:04:11 AM
....I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'll be uploading the slideshow for the presentation on 2FA and Password Managers.
If I recall correctly, you didn't actually make that presentation. If this is the case, why not do so at the upcoming meeting?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on April 17, 2019, 12:37:11 PM
If I recall correctly, you didn't actually make that presentation. If this is the case, why not do so at the upcoming meeting?
Well, we announced it twice already. It doesn't seem right to have the same presentation promoted for a third month in a row.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

It wasn't cancelled due to lack of interest!

buster

"It wasn't cancelled due to lack of interest!" Very true, but how many have written to the forum saying, "I really, really want this presentation!" It's fine with me because I know we'll get sidetracked into all kinds of amazing stuff. But maybe, like an athlete, after all these months, Jason has lost his edge on this topic.

And another point, because of the missed meetings, we all get some money back, right?  :)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

NO refunds!  ;)

If at least three members ask me to do the 2FA authentication and password managers presentation by Monday the 22nd I will do it. Otherwise, I think we should do something else.

Perhaps Mike will have had enough time to play with Ubuntu 19.04 by then? Supposed to be officially released tomorrow although you can grab as a frozen development build right now which will be the same thing.

fox

I will upgrade to Disco Dingo tomorrow morning as soon as the final version is released. But from what I understand, there won't be any major changes to talk about for any more than a few minutes. Speaking of which, here is a brief video of what's new in 19.04.

ssfc72

Sure, 2Fa authentication would be good to hear about!

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on April 17, 2019, 05:57:01 PM
NO refunds!  ;)

If at least three members ask me to do the 2FA authentication and password managers presentation by Monday the 22nd I will do it. Otherwise, I think we should do something else.

Perhaps Mike will have had enough time to play with Ubuntu 19.04 by then? Supposed to be officially released tomorrow although you can grab as a frozen development build right now which will be the same thing.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

So far only two have expressed an interest in having 2FA/Password Managers presented. If I don't hear anybody else say they'd like to see that by tomorrow morning, I'll try and think of something else.

But if anybody else wants to present, please post here ASAP! Presentations don't have to be long affairs, even a 10-15 minute presentation can be interesting especially if we have lots of questions.

Jason

Okay, nobody else posted so we'll do something else then.

I could present Debian, not sure we've presented that just plain Debian before. Or Manjaro, Antergos or Gentoo. I think at this late point, our prez Brian should decide. So let me know if you want me to do one of these, Brian.

Also, we need to do membership renewals so whatever you choose, it's probably a good idea to also remind members of that in the announcement, as well.

Jason

I forgot the meeting is still a week and a half away so I guess we have time to bounce these ideas or any others for a little longer. Thoughts on having one of those distros presented or do you really really really want to do 2FA/Password Managers? Feedback please!

Jason

Heck, I could do both. 2FA & Password Managers + one of the distros. That way those not interested in the former will hopefully have something in the latter. Brian?

fox

2FA plus Gentoo? I know very little about it other than you build everything from source.

buster

Gentoo seems to this cowboy to be like buying a car that gets delivered in boxes and you have to assemble it. Not sure if anyone in our club ever created a Gentoo that actually worked well. Maybe you did Jason.

A slow install unless you get one that's pretty well assembled by the Gentoo guys. From Distrowatch:

Pros: Highly flexible, endlessly customizable, able to use a range of compile-time configurations, init systems and run on many architectures
Cons: Requires a higher degree of knowledge to use, upgrading packages via source can be time consuming

I'd be interested in a Gentoo presentation, not to do it myself, but to understand why some are dedicated to it.

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.