• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MX Linux Classified as 'Major' Distribution on DistroWatch

Started by buster, February 05, 2019, 06:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Now I'm not going to be mean-spirited and say, "I told you so!" If fact, I'm going to say I think they made a mistake.

My update of MX Linux borked itself most ungraciously. That doesn't seem 'major' to me. Other than this tendency to self-destruct, it is a fine distro, and one I have advocated for.

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

You were just mentioning in another thread that Deepin borked itself with an update, too. You've been having some bad luck lately :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I don't know whether an update would work the same on a VM as it would on bare metal because you have the "additions" in the way.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Reinstalled MX and got it working nicely. Lots of updates. 'Major' work to update.

buster

Jason wrote, "You were just mentioning in another thread that Deepin borked itself with an update, too. You've been having some bad luck lately"

Did some research and saw this particular issue has happened before. It's their issue because it happened on all three. But yes, I do need sympathy.

buster

Examined more closely the MX Package Installer. It's far more sophisticated than I realized. When open there are tabs at the top, and each tab accesses different repositories, at least to some degree. The individual tabs are:

Popular
Stable
MX Test
Debian Backports
Flatpaks

Someone in the forum wanted to update LibreOffice from the supplied 6.0 to 6.1, and was directed to the backports tab. That's how I discovered it. Maybe some danger I suppose, but that doesn't matter much on a  vm.

buster

Found out VLC doesn't work in my vm MX,so downloaded SMPlayer. Then....

Put a USB stick in and a wee notice came up asking whether to open it in host or virtual. Choose virtual. And after a bit of time the contents were displayed. Did a right click on a movie and selected SMPlayer. Worked perfectly, including full screen. Beauty, eh?

Maybe MX deserves to be 'major'.

buster

MX Linux is way near the top on Distrowatch, and I must say it deserves it.(Ignore previous post to the contrary.) It's my go to system, and it's amazing. Mepis is back! It is indeed a Major distribution, and it's no wonder Jesse Smith of Distrowatch uses it.

buster

Top of the hits list on DistroWatch.

If you check hits for 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 1 year, MX Linux tops everyone for hits. I know that only indicates 'interest' or 'curiosity', but to me it indicates a very positive outlook for this worthy successor to Mepis.  And the more I use it, the more I admire it.

Jason

Does anyone else in the LUG use it? I'm just curious. When we're doing memberships, I might create an applications with a poll for OSes that members use.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I have it on my xps as a backup, but only to play with. I've had it there since Buster started his other MX thread.

ssfc72

I think I may ditch the Mint 19, on my one notebook and put MXLinux on it.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

fox

One potential issue with MX Linux is that you have to disable Secure Boot on a PC to run it. I don't know how much that matters, but a number of distributions (e.g.Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse, and now Debian) can now be booted with Secure Boot enabled. MX is based on Debian, but the developers of MX have not yet installed the shim that is required for Secure Boot. MX is a good distribution, but I wasn't using it much on my xps, so I ended up nuking it.

buster

"One potential issue with MX Linux is that you have to disable Secure Boot on a PC to run it."

That's not a problem as far a I know in virtual. Never experienced it anyway. But the way, did an update for MXLiniux quite a while ago, and saw a problem I'd need to address. Lazy.  Opened a different OS I had in VMWare and used it. Ultimately I got rid of it. Fickle. Have only Q4OS on my laptop, but have 5 or 6 stored ready to use, I think, on Marilyn's machine.