• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MX Linux Classified as 'Major' Distribution on DistroWatch

Started by buster, February 05, 2019, 06:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I agree; this wouldn't be a problem in a virtual machine. I don't even know how much of a problem it is in bare metal. However, I had to disable Secure Boot to try the live distro and to run it once it was installed. That wouldn't bother me if I decided it was my main distro, but it definitely isn't.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

An old thread, but my latest experience doesn't deserve a new one.

Installed MXLinux again as a virtual. Easy process. Nice looking. Used Synaptic to install

open-vm-tools
open-vm-tools-desktop

And then as I used it I ran into a problem I always seem to encounter with XFCE Desktop Environments - drag and drop is unreliable. Tiny files can be moved across to the host, but not big ones. A pain.

Also the sound needs coddling after the install.

So it's gone again.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on March 10, 2020, 02:23:32 PM
An old thread, but my latest experience doesn't deserve a new one.

Doesn't matter. I'm sure MX Linux has had a new version since then.

And then as I used it I ran into a problem I always seem to encounter with XFCE Desktop Environments - drag and drop is unreliable. Tiny files can be moved across to the host, but not big ones. A pain.

If I remember correctly, I mentioned this to you in a private message, something about VMware and transferring large files from Linux guests to Windows hosts and vice-versa.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"If I remember correctly, I mentioned this to you in a private message, something about VMware and transferring large files from Linux guests to Windows hosts and vice-versa."

Well, it's certainly not a problem in Mint or Kubuntu up to say a couple of gigs. Have done it for ages. And that's all I need for transfers.

ssfc72

I just installed the latest MXLinux as a VM Guest on a Mint 19 Host.  Edit - I am using VMware Player
Sound works fine. No problem with watching YouTube movies.
On my notebook there is a problem with a usb pendrive not being recognised by the MXLinux Guest (edited).  I get a complaint message that MXLinux can't recognise the network driver (or something similar), it then tries to fix the problem but fails to show the usb pendrive.  I can, however drag and drop small files from the usb pendrive showing on the Host, to a Folder on the VM MXLinux.  Large movie files can not be copied from the Host to the Guest, MXLinux.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I seem to recall that with Virtualbox, you had to turn on USB in the settings on per-guest basis. You didn't mention what VM software you're using, but I'm sure there is a similar function for VMware Workstation Player. Also, if the USB drive is engaged by the host, it can't be accessed by the guest and probably vice-versa. Or at least, that's been my past experience.

Regarding dragging and dropping files, there are some limitations for doing that according to the VMware Workstation Player according to the manual here.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the info and Links Jason.  I am surprised that VMware Player cannot drag and drop or copy/paste large files.  The Links say the Host needs to have Xwindows but doesn't say how you can go about getting Xwindows on the Host Linux distro.  I Googled this Xwindows thing on Mint19 and did not see any mention of it.

Yes, MXLinux does disconnect the usb pendrive from the Host Linux and tries to install it on the Guest MXLinux but that operation fails and the usb pendrive does not appear on the MXLinux Host, on the Tool Bar. Complains about something wrong with the network device driver or something along those lines.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

A)  " I am surprised that VMware Player cannot drag and drop or copy/paste large files."

Typically I drag and drop movie files of 1.5 gig from Kubuntu in virtual to win10 host. Seems like a large file. (Some of the things in that list of restrictions seems outdated or wrong.) HOWEVER, since VMWare was probably created to be run on a Windows machine, maybe the rules are different with a Linux host.

B) " there is a problem with a usb pendrive not being recognised by the MXLinux Host." Should that be Mint Host, or MXLinux Guest?

When usb sticks are involved, I always wait til both host and guest are running quietly, and then insert the usb stick into the machine. I consistently get a message tha asks, "Do you want to open XLFUSB in host or guest?" I've never tried to find a usb from a guest that is already engaged by the host.

C) The sound problem with my MXLinux may have been my fault, not the distros.

D) It's good to see some interest in VMs. I don't feel quite so lonely.

E) "Dragging images is not supported for Linux hosts or guests. " (From the VMWare page.) This is 100% unadulterated crap. Just tested it minutes ago with Kubuntu guest.

ssfc72

Thanks Buster, for the info.

B) yes, you are correct, I have edited my post to state, MXLinux Guest , instead of Host.

BusterE

To add to earlier posts - just moved a 6.0 gig folder from guest Linux Mint to host Win10 with drag and drop. No problems.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!