• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS released today

Started by buster, April 26, 2018, 12:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

William Park

It's using 4.15 kernel which has already reached EOL.  So, I wonder how Ubuntu is going to do "Long Term Support".

Jason

Five years, same as every other release of Ubuntu LTS version.

I don't claim to be an expert on how kernel versions work but Ubuntu customizes their kernels so I don't think the fact that kernel.org says 4.15.18 is EOL means anything to the Ubuntu release. Just because the kernel team won't release patches for it, doesn't mean the Canonical team can't. I also think that the kernel team will still fix security issues that arise even in 4.15.x kernels or Canonical will backport them from later kernel releases.

Basically, I think Ubuntu knows what it's doing.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William Park

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on April 28, 2018, 12:09:17 AM

Not sure.  I tried Ubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox 5.2.10.  It installs, but fails to boot after that.  Xubuntu and Kubuntu were OK.

Jason

Quote from: William on April 28, 2018, 11:42:47 PM
Quote from: Jason Wallwork on April 28, 2018, 12:09:17 AM

Not sure.  I tried Ubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox 5.2.10.  It installs, but fails to boot after that.  Xubuntu and Kubuntu were OK.

That comment was specific to the kernels. I have no idea how well it works in Virtualbox. Buster says Mint seems to work a lot better in a VM but I think he uses VMWare Player.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

William had I had maybe similar experiences. My Ubuntu was totally unacceptable. Lite is very good. I wonder if the Gnome has anything to do with it. Never my favourite by the way.

Jason

Quote from: William on April 28, 2018, 11:42:47 PM

What host are you using and what setup preferences did you use (ram, processor, storage space) for the vm?

I ask because I just finished installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in a VM and it boots up fine afterward and works fine; I restarted it four times.

I'm not using exactly the same version of Virtualbox as you, though. It's version 5.1.34_Ubuntu, which is the default for Linux Mint 18.3, the host I'm running it in. I allocated two processors, 2048 MB RAM, and 25 GB, the minimum list requirements at the Ubuntu download page. Try those settings if you haven't already and see if it makes any difference.

cod3poet

18.04 Installed on the following

Baremetal Intel NUC.

WSL on windows 10 after some massaging.

18.04 graphical working in Hyper-v in server 2012r2 and in Windows 10.

The new installer for Server is much nicer and much faster.

Beyond that I have had zero issues so far I find that when installing services they autostart.

apt install mariadb-server and BOOM it's already running. I will be swapping out all my Centos7 installs for 18.04 now that it's out. Streamline!!
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

buster

Jason wrote: "I just finished installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in a VM and it boots up fine afterward and works fine; I restarted it four times. "

Interesting. Maybe you're just better at this than I am. But yours is Linux in Linux. May make a difference for desktop installs Linux in Win10. (I assume your installs were servers Cod3poet.)

How does your drag and drop work with the host Jason? And I had other issues as well with Ubuntu that haven't shown for about my last 5 virtual installs with other distros.

Doesn't really matter to me too much, and I'm only a bit curious. I can't see myself using Gnome in a vm.

William Park

Ubuntu 18.04 is running, now.  I had "Solid-state Drive" enabled because it's installed on SSD.  With it disabled, it boots.  I guess, it's Gnome issue.

cod3poet

So far I do not mind the return to Xorg, and Gnome I never really had any love for the Ubuntu Gui and will be doing an LTS from the bottom to the box build (Openbox) However once the Win10 april update comes out ubuntu and win10 hyper-v should be best friends. We'll see tomorrow I guess.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 29, 2018, 09:53:42 PM
How does your drag and drop work with the host Jason? And I had other issues as well with Ubuntu that haven't shown for about my last 5 virtual installs with other distros.

I haven't gotten that working yet (or the bidirectional clipboard). Not that I've tried very hard. I tried installing the extensions via the menu option in virtualbox and it didn't work. I should probably look for the extensions in the Ubuntu software manager.

Btw, I'm also using Virtualbox and you're using VMware Player, right? I did find it slower than my regular desktop but I didn't allocate more than the minimum RAM and no extra video.

BusterE

"I haven't gotten that working yet (or the bidirectional clipboard). "

Soooooo... I reinstalled Ubuntu 18.04. I know.  :-[

Here's what I found the second time, in VMWare, with 2 gig of memory and 2 cores.

#1. Very easy install.
#2. Drag and drop worked right from the install, host to guest. From  Ubuntu to Win10 however, I had to use copy/paste. Quite adequate.
#3. VLC played music clearly right away without any fiddling around.
#4. Update worked right away with a notice.
#5. HOWEVER --- even after a few reboots, the OS tied up as if there were memory problems. It took a while to sort things out.
#6. AND --- how in the world do you change the double click mouse to single click with Gnome??? I'll tell you where not to look - inside the home folder, in Gnome-tweaks, in preferences...... and anywhere else I looked. And I could find no reference to it with Google that located the switch.

The slowness for me is a stumbling block, especially with good VMs of Mint and Lite. And I've used a single click mouse as far back as I can remembef.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

Maybe the problem lies within the host OS, Buster? ;-) This is Windows 10, I presume? And yes, I'm just teasing. Have you tried a full install of it anywhere? I haven't yet.

buster

"Have you tried a full install of it anywhere?"

No. I have my full install of a linux distro on my desktop (Mint). And it's fine. But I always search for the perfect Virtual Machine distro for my laptop. Ubuntu doesn't suit my needs very well.

By the way, how do you get a single click mouse in Ubuntu???