• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS released today

Started by buster, April 26, 2018, 12:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I don't know how you do that. I prefer double-click if you mean for opening folders and files, etc, so if I'm changing the default, it's back to double-click.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Double click is the default. But Shirley some users prefer single. (And don't call me Shirley.)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on May 02, 2018, 11:02:47 PM
Double click is the default. But Shirley some users prefer single. (And don't call me Shirley.)

Yeah, I got that. I was trying to say the only time I ever change that setting is when it's set to single-click and I'm changing it do double-click. I find single click annoying because I often click a file just to select it or select it and then hold down the Ctrl key to select multiple files for moving, deleting, whatever. Yes, I know you can get around this probably by clicking the Ctrl key first but old habits die hard for old men like me :)

I'm sure that other people like it that way, too. Did you check the Ubuntu forums? Mike might know but I'm not sure he has Internet wherever he is, right now. If you can make the PLUG meeting, bring it - be a good question to field to members.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"be a good question to field to members"

I can still ask out of curiosity. But for the second time I just deleted Ubuntu. It was very slow.

ssfc72

Single click of the mouse, is the only way to go, for me, :-)

Bill

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on May 03, 2018, 06:58:48 AM
Quote from: buster on May 02, 2018, 11:02:47 PM

Yeah, I got that. I was trying to say the only time I ever change that setting is when it's set to single-click and I'm changing it do double-click. I find single click annoying because I often click a file just to select it or select it and then hold down the Ctrl key to select multiple files for moving, deleting, whatever. Yes, I know you can get around this probably by clicking the Ctrl key first but old habits die hard for old men like me :)

I'm sure that other people like it that way, too. Did you check the Ubuntu forums? Mike might know but I'm not sure he has Internet wherever he is, right now. If you can make the PLUG meeting, bring it - be a good question to field to members.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

fox

Since no one reported on an upgrade yet, I thought I would post my experience. I upgraded two installations on the same computer. Both were running 17.10, but one was originally a clean 17.10 installation and the other, one that had been upgraded at least two times from earlier versions. The latter had Unity, Gnome and Openbox on it; the former only stock Ubuntu with its modified gnome interface. Both updates were successful, but the one with Unity froze near the end of the installation with an error message I was unable to dismiss. I did a hard shutdown and it wouldn't boot, but I was able to get it to single user mode and complete the installation in three more steps (each requiring a reboot and further updates). I don't know if the problem was having Unity, Gnome and Ubuntu Gnome on the same installation, or if either Unity or the additional gnome was the problem. Whatever it was, I didn't have the same problem when I upgraded that installation from 17.04 to 17.10.

All of the previously installed software runs well on the two partitions upgraded to 18.04 LTS. And it seems a bit faster than 17.10, especially on the partition that doesn't have other desktops installed. However, RAM usage seems very high - over 1.8 GB with no app running, but this on a computer with 12 GB installed.

I'm going to try upgrading my laptop from 16.04 to 18.04 and also an old iMac running Ubuntu 17.10 with KDE. I'll report back.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

The 18.04 upgrade went well on both the laptop running 16.04 and an old mac mini running 17.10 with KDE installed. I had only one minor problem with the mac mini - wifi wouldn't connect initially, but a restart brought it back. On the 16.04 upgrade I had both Unity and Gnome installed. Like one of the previous installations, having Gnome installed before it was made the default desktop causes some interference with the gnome shell extensions unique to Ubuntu 17.10 and 18.04. The update then doesn't install two of those extensions, Ubuntu dock for gnome shell and the appindicator. Once I found and installed those two, I had 18.04 with the default gnome desktop on my laptop. However, the app indicators for dropbox and insync still don't show up on the mac mini and I have yet to figure out how to make that feature work.

Jason

Quote from: fox on May 05, 2018, 03:42:34 PM
However, RAM usage seems very high - over 1.8 GB with no app running, but this on a computer with 12 GB installed.

That's likely the only reason. More RAM probably means more of it will be cached for quicker opening of applications or reading of files. In any case, using 1.8 GB of 12 GB of RAM won't affect your performance in the slightest.

fox

A fresh install of 18.04 worked very well on my new iMac, and with kernel 4.15, it boots instantly without changing grub parameters. This is great; now I'll have to decide whether to use this or Mint 18.3 as my regular distro at work. Unfortunately, when trying to install an old stats program, I buggered it up so bad that it won't start up the GUI and several attempts to rescue it didn't work. I'll have to reinstall, but that should be quick.

cod3poet

Doing a different upgrade of my own.

Updating the windows subsystem for Linux on my surface. I want to get all the goodies too :)
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

fox

I just successfully upgraded my old Acer Timeline laptop from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04. There were a few minor problems, again including getting icons like Dropbox to show on the menubar, but I solved them with the help of various postings.

Jason

So did the upgrade take several hours, cod3poet?

cod3poet

12 to 15 minutes, Did the upgrade on my surface so I did. it expect it to go quick plus I have the least amount of stuff on it since the crash recovery :) I have since learned that virtualization is best left for desktops with more Ram that do not hibernate.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE