• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Latest Linux Mint Upgrade to 22 a Pleasure Though Long Procedure

Started by buster, August 17, 2024, 07:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Quote from: Jason on Yesterday at 04:30:16 AMIf you've already done that, wouldn't you restore your home files from your backup? Or is your backup of the entire drive?
I still have a partition with Mint 21.3. I have a backup of it with TimeShift, but not a specific backup of my Home folder. (Note that the Home folder is not on a separate partition.) Can I then go to the Mint 22 partition (also without the Home folder on a separate partition) and restore just the Home folder from Mint 21.3? If not, what if I made a backup of just the Home folder on Mint 23 with a program like Backup? Could I then "restore" that folder in Mint 22?

Interestingly, I now have good reason not to get rid of the Mint 21.3 partition. I have a piece of statistical software called JMP on it; a very old version that works on Linux (with certain old 32 bit libraries installed). Getting that to work in Mint 22 would take a lot of work, unless those libraries transfer over with the Home folder, so I would keep 21.3 just for that program.

I believe I can back up that Home folder with software called Backup?
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13