• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

RIP Cub Linux?

Started by fox, November 06, 2016, 01:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Looks like another example of a good, innovative distro not making it. Once again, it was basically a one-person distro with a few people in the wings trying to keep it together when its developer bowed out. The forum has been dead for weeks. I posted a message two days ago asking if it was no longer being actively maintained, and got the reply, "I believe you are correct" from one of the more active people in it. Nothing else posted since, so I think it is reasonable to assume it is dead. Interestingly enough, it still works as well as it always did. In fact you can still get updates, from the Ubuntu repos it uses. So it is probably safe to use until Ubuntu 14.04 is no longer getting security updates. Nevertheless, I'm going to remove it from my "distrohopper laptop" (the 11" Acer) and replace it with something more active. The closest thing to it is probably Peppermint, which has more developers behind it and a longer history. I might replace Cub with Peppermint, or alternatively, I might try (or retry) an Arch-based distro like Antergos or Manjaro, or even openSUSE tumbleweed.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

That's too bad. I wonder what happened.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for posting the info about the CUb Distro, Mike! It is good to know when these Distros are on the way out.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: elpresidente on November 06, 2016, 04:38:03 PM
That's too bad. I wonder what happened.
What happened is that the guy who developed it no longer had time to maintain it, and although there were a few people interested in keeping it up, no one could or would step up to take his place.

bobf

MAN, that sucks! First, the name, now the distro...!

fox

Quote from: bobf on November 15, 2016, 11:54:50 AM
... First, the name, now the distro...!
I don't think that the two are related, but there's no way to know for sure. But Cub had pretty good user support even after its name changed from Chromixium to Cub. Perhaps the main developer was bummed out by the change, and this contributed to his quitting. But there were a few months between the two events.