• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Installing Mint 18 to dual boot with Win 10 - What a Pain ITA !

Started by ssfc72, October 22, 2016, 07:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So I finally got around to trying a Mint 18 install on my new 11" HP 360 notebook.  it wasn't pretty!!!

I think part of the  problem was that I had the BIOS set for Legacy instead of UEFI,  I had done this, because it was the only way I could boot some Distros from a Live USB flash drive. I also had secure boot turned off.

So the first problem I had was that the installer for Mint 18 did not find Win 10 on the hard drive, so I had to chose "Other" which brought up the partitioning screen, for the hard drive.

The trouble with this was, I didn't know what partition the MBR/boot program was hiding in. There were about 5 partitions, on the hard drive.
The internet instructions said to look for the partition that was identified as EFI,  There was no partition with this identity!!!

I chose the sda drive itself and of course this did not result in a dual boot screen coming up, but instead the notebook just booted into Win 10, only  :-(

So, I went back into the BIOS and turned on UEFI.
The Mint 18 installer still did not find the Win 10 installed, so I went with "Other" again and got the partitioning screen.
This time I chose the sda1 partition for the dual boot manager.
I believe I may have had to go into the BIOS again and select what Boot manager I wanted to use.

Anyway, I finally did get the Dual Boot manager screen to come up, when I turned on the notebbok.  :-)
That was yesterday.

So, while in the BIOS, I noticed the clock was out a few hours!  This seems to happen a lot when I boot from a Live USB flash Distro.
So today I went into the BIOS and adjusted the clock to the correct time and I saved the changes.

The computer then re-booted and to my surprise the notebook didn't come up with the dual boot screen, but went straight into Win 10. :-(
I re-booted the computer and it just would only boot Win 10. :-(

Back into the BIOS I go and mucked around and found in the Boot menu a setting that had the Win 10 boot setting and a Ubuntu setting.
I changed that so that the Ubuntu setting was first, in the list.

Booted the computer, and it still booted into Win 10. :-(

Went into the BIOS again, and chose the F9 option, which brings up the Boot order and I chose Ubuntu again.
This time, the notebook  finally came up with the Boot manager window, :-)

So, from my experience with the Mint 18 installer, on my HP 360 notebook, an install of Mint 18 is most definitely not for beginner/Windows users!!!

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service