• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

SSH clients for Android

Started by Jason, November 07, 2019, 02:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Recently, at a PLUG meeting, I demonstrated how to login from a local computer running Linux to a remote computer also running Linux. You can read the notes for that presentation here.

But the fun doesn't stop there. You can also login from other operating systems, such as Putty (which sucks, but works) to login from Windows or the Linux subsystem for Windows (better) or even your phone. Yes, even your phone. If you don't have eagle eyes like Brian, it might be better to do it on a tablet though.

Here's is a small list. I'm trying out #7 right now.

And SSH isn't just for logging into desktops/servers. Many devices now run Linux (for example, routers, smart home tech, and mobile devices) and officially or unofficially you can login to them.

If you use any of these apps or others, let us know of your experiences below. Or just tell us if you'll try any of these. Remember that there is a lot of fun to be bad in exploration. You may believe that ssh couldn't be of use to you until you find out it is.

Brian and I both pointed out how when a Linux box seems to be hung, we can often still log into it from another box and find out what's going on or just reboot or shut it down without the unnecessary risk to data, no matter how minimal it is.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13