• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Browser extensions - which do you use?

Started by Jason, October 23, 2019, 08:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm curious what browser extensions that our PLUG members and visitors use. They can be for any browser but please mention your browser before the list. Here's what I use for Firefox Quantum:

• Default Zoom
  • Ecosia (search engine)
  • Grammarly
  • Khantent Blocker (recent addition, limits time on social media including YouTube)
  • LastPass
  • NoScript (privacy)
  • Plasma Intergration
  • Privacy Badger
Feel free to ask me about any of these. And if you don't use extensions, why not? Have you tried any or just prefer that vanilla browser feel?

Update: Extension items were meshing together on my post so I fixed that.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

With Firefox:
- Gnome shell integration
- GSConnect
- NoScript
- Privacy Badger
- uBlock Origin
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Cool to know another NoScript user. I think that Bill either uses it now or used to use it. Bill? It took me a while to get used to NoScript and is still sometimes annoying on websites trying to figure out what scripts you have to allow to make if functional but I'm adapting.

I used to use an adblocker, too, and then I decided as long as the ads on site weren't super annoying, I'd allow them. If the website has a lot of advertising, I just won't go back to it. I want informational websites, especially news sites, to survive, so that's why I personally don't block ads. If only there was a micro-payment system for websites like charging a flat rate of $0.01 per 100 web pages viewed and sharing it with the websites that were viewed. Newspapers are basically dying because tradition ads are going the way of the do-do bird. So I feel bad denying them the small scraps that online advertising delivers.

Is GSConnect similar to the program that lets you sync with your phone?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

I am using the Opera browser.

I have as extensions -  Tampermonkey,  This stops the Hotmail (Outlook) email web page from redirecting my webpage to MSN, when I log out of Hotmail.  I set  Tampermonkey to redirect to the PLUG web page, instead.

Privacy Protection - an extension to block ads.

MailTo - an extension that will bring up my email Client, to email the address of the web page I am viewing and find interesting and want to email that web page address to one of my contacts.

Simplefil Forms- an extension that you can store text/phrases/passwords to input into forms/logins etc.

Not extensions, but built into Opera

VPN client

Snapshot -  lets you take a screen capture ( full screen or partial) and save it as a .png file.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service