• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 16.10 upgrade

Started by fox, October 14, 2016, 07:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Now that Ubuntu 16.10 has been released, I decided to upgrade the 16.04 installation on my iMac to see if improvements therein stop the occasional freezing I still experience on my dual-monitor iMac. The upgrade took about an hour to complete. Unfortunately, booting after the upgrade resulted in a black screen, and there was nothing I could do to fix it in reduced mode. I was, however, able to fix things by booting from a Ubuntu 16.10 live usb and reinstalling over the existing partition. This was recommended as a way to fix a bad upgrade, but as long as you don't reformat the partition when you do the re-installation, you aren't supposed to lose your files and data. This actually worked, for the most part. There were then a bunch of non-Ubuntu applications that didn't work and required (re)installation, like Play on Linux, Dropbox and Google Earth, as well as gtk themes that didn't carry over and had to be reinstalled. This took about an hour before my system was more or less what it was before the upgrade. At least I didn't lose any files, emails, etc.. Now I'm just hoping that 16.10 works better with my iMac setup than 16.04 did (i.e. no freezes).

Anyone else upgrade to 16.10 on any of your computers? What was your experience? I'm sticking with 16.04 on my other computers because they are working very well with it and I don't want to move off an LTS for no good reason. Incidentally, there is a Unity 8 preview on 16.10. I booted into it just to try it, but starting up its browser immediately crashed my iMac.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13