• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PLUG Forums back up, thanks!

Started by ssfc72, September 13, 2019, 02:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Thanks Jason, for getting the Forums back up and available! Well done!

Wow! 397 Guests are showing right now at 2:30 am.  Just jumped to 414 Guests.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

You're welcome - there was a lot of challenges mainly due to my lack of knowledge and working things out but it feels good to have overcome them. I just wish that the membership benefited in some way rather than just having multiple days of downtime. Sorry about that, folks!

And the main site is down - plugintolinux.ca - that address of which is unreachable right now. It can be reached via www.plugintolinux.ca but don't bother going there is there is some scripting/database error that isn't allowing it to work. So I have some more challenges ahead. I'm going to post this information as a separate topic in a moment.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

William

How much would it cost you to host all these on your computer at home?  I guess it depends on electricity rate and cost of dynamic DNS.  Is there over-riding reason for remote hosting?

Jason

Quote from: William on September 14, 2019, 09:26:32 PM
How much would it cost you to host all these on your computer at home?  I guess it depends on electricity rate and cost of dynamic DNS.  Is there over-riding reason for remote hosting?

Cost would be negligible but if my internet went down (rarely happens but sometimes) or we lost power at home (happens more often than I like) then there's be no website availability. Power outages are uncommon where I am but not rare. I'm not far from the industrial section of Peterborough and on the edge so there's not many alternative feeders and Peterborough gets a lot of thunderstorms.

But the site is moved (mostly, just have to do mail server setup) so don't feel like doing it all over again at home. The host I have now is only $5-6 a month CAD and I get as much control as if I was hosting at home. And it's not a club cost, I pay for it all although when the club is able to afford it, I'd like it to take up the cost of the domain.