• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Putting PCLinuxOS into virtual

Started by buster, August 07, 2019, 04:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

The big problem with Plos in VMWare is the installation of guest additions. So you can't use full screen or drag and drop, or copy paste from host to vm or the other way. around. However...

Texstar has solve this problem for people using VirtualBox. After installing Plos as a guest in VBox, you can go here:

Menu -> Configuration -> Install Vbox GuestAdditions

Then everything works, with a click of the mouse you might say.

The first log in poses an interesting puzzle by the way. It's bizarre to me, but they seem to like it. Write if you're stuck.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks Buster, that is good info.
I may have a go at trying that out. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

I am stuck on the Localhost login!   Nothing I input gets me past this point. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Bill, concerning guest additions for VB, consider something like this for say Peppermint guest:

"However, Ubuntu has its own dedicated Ubuntu-specific Guest Addon package(s)...
named virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms and ..-x11 and ..-utils . " So it looks like maybe 3 programs.

Get from Synaptic, then reboot, then try drag and drop. May of course be your crappy Lubuntu OS.  :)

buster

So Bill I found a 1 TB hd sitting in the junk room that had an old Mint in perfect condition. Last used about Jan, 2017. Ran it. Got PCLinuxOS iso and put it into VB. NO GRAPHICS!!! Same as your problem. Tired of this. Got rid of iso and uninstalled VirtualBox. Upgraded easily to Mint 19.1.

Life's too short for the pain I get with Plos.