• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Forum messages Subject title being altered by the software program??

Started by ssfc72, July 24, 2019, 08:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Jason,  it appears that the Forum messages are having the Subject title being altered by adding a "Re" to the start of the Subject title, when anyone replies to the original message.

This is very annoying for me since doing so causes the end part of the Title to disappear from being shown, in the Listings of messages, on the main Forum page.   With part of the original message Title not showing on the main Forum message page, Listing, it is sometimes difficult to know what the Topic of the posted message is about.

When I see a new message topic has been posted and I can't tell by reading the Subject title, what the message is about, I usually don't bother to click on the message to read it.
Edit:  Oh ok, I see now that if you mouse over the message title, then the whole complete title does show up.   So just get rid of the annoying ":Re"  that is being added to the message title.

So, can you change the software program to stop adding a "Re" to the Subject title of a posted message or/and maybe allow for a longer message Subject title to be shown, on the main Forum page that lists the latest messages of each Forum category?

Thanks
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

It doesn't appear to be something that can be changed in settings, either the Re: at the beginning or a wider topic post showing. You must be looking at it on a really small screen (is this using a phone?) to not see more than just the Re: part of the topic. Perhaps you can show a screenshot? Unfortunately, he forums use the forum software SMF. I can't change it. Unless you're using an older theme or something's wrong with it. A screenshot would really help.

But if it helps you, you can instead turn on notifications for the boards you're interested in and you will get emails with a link to new topics by clicking the NOTIFY button at the top of a particular board, for example, in Support. Also, in your profile settings you can choose to get replies to topics you started. Click Profile -> Account Settings -> Modify Profile -> Notifications.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

No the problem is the same on all the computer screens.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on July 24, 2019, 11:09:06 AM
It doesn't appear to be something that can be changed in settings, either the Re: at the beginning or a wider topic post showing. You must be looking at it on a really small screen (is this using a phone?) to not see more than just the Re: part of the topic. Perhaps you can show a screenshot? Unfortunately, he forums use the forum software SMF. I can't change it. Unless you're using an older theme or something's wrong with it. A screenshot would really help.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Ah, okay, I see now. Thanks for posting that. But it's not something I can change. Sorry.

Another thing you could do instead is at the top-left, when you're logged in, click on the link that says, Show unread posts since last visit. Then you'll see the full subject titles and you'll get everything you haven't seen that's new, whereas the method you're using only shows you the most recent Last Post.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Ok, thanks Jason!  Maybe you can post a message to the SMF programming people, to change the software so that the SMF does not tack on  ":Re" to the message title, when someone replies to the original message in the Forums.

Jason

So after trying to figure out how send feature requests, I found a place in their forums but they're not taking requests for anything other than security and bug fixes for the 2.0.x series which is the version we're on, according to this:

QuoteThe 1.0., 1.1.x versions are obsolete, and the 2.0 series is in maintenance stage, and only security and bug-fix releases will be made. There will not be features added even in 2.0. The preferred way to implement features and feature enhancements for 2.0 will be as mods - either official mods, developed and supported by the team, either third-party mods, developed by their respective authors.

Currently, 2.1 development is ongoing, along with a few preparations for 3.0.
2.1 appears to be still an RC so I'm not really ready to upgrade the forums to it yet. However, one thing that may help you is to try a different theme. You can do this within your profile settings. You may find one that shows a wider column.

ssfc72

Ok, thanks, Jason.

ssfc72

yes, I don't usually bother to log in, unless I intend to respond or post a message, so the "show unread posts since last visit" is not available for people that don't log in. :-(

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on July 25, 2019, 03:56:35 AM
Ah, okay, I see now. Thanks for posting that. But it's not something I can change. Sorry.

Another thing you could do instead is at the top-left, when you're logged in, click on the link that says, Show unread posts since last visit. Then you'll see the full subject titles and you'll get everything you haven't seen that's new, whereas the method you're using only shows you the most recent Last Post.

buster

"yes, I don't usually bother to log in, unless I intend to respond or post a message"

With all the systems I have, I'm only logged in on two. When on the other systems I can't log in because I don't remember my password. Usually I just check latest posts at the bottom.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.