• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

openSUSE Leap 15.1 YaST Partitioner

Started by Jason, July 20, 2019, 10:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

OpenSUSE has a partition tool included with its YaST configuration suite called aptly, Partitioner. Besides doing what you'd expect such a tool to do such as create, delete, edit and mount partitions, it also has another cool feature that I just discovered.

It's listed under Device Graphs after you open Partitioner and it shows your partitions in a tree format. Great for when your layout isn't that simple. And did I mention it's just cool?  Here it is in action on my system.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

This doesn't really belong here, but since we're writing about Suse....

One other amazing feature they have is the 'picture of the day' selection in wallpaper choices. Booted into Suse to have a look at the partition graphics in mine, and booted into another spectacular picture. Have seen some great ones over the year.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Nice find, Harry! I didn't know about that.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Me neither. Can they be directly downloaded for use in another distro?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I believe I've only seen it in Mageia and Suse. Probably saves a bit of trouble for creating and gathering appropriate wallpaper. But the pictures are often spectacular. I think, but not sure, the pictures come from National Geographic.

Jason

You can choose the source of the pictures. Probably important to mention that this is in Plasma, not sure if it's in the Gnome edition of OpenSUSE. Tried to screen capture the drop-down menu under Providers but for some reason it doesn't show.

If it's also in Mageia, I'm thinking it's actually a Plasma feature and not specifically an openSUSE feature.

fox

Does that mean you can or can't download the pictures for use on another distro that doesn't have Plasma?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on July 24, 2019, 07:14:33 AM
Does that mean you can or can't download the pictures for use on another distro that doesn't have Plasma?

Did you try searching National Geographic to find the photo or picture of the day? AFAIK, these are external sources. They're not a collection of wallpapers stored in the distro. Hope that answers your question.

buster

It's a Plasma feature for sure. Checked Kubuntu. Just as Jason described for Suse.

No big deal Mike. Just use Plasma.  :)