• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

U.K. ARM chip designer to stop working with Huawei

Started by ssfc72, May 22, 2019, 08:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Wow, that's another blow to Huawei. Google has also been forced to not share some aspects of the Android platform under the new ban, too. For now, the phones still work especially if bought before this month. It doesn't affect all of Android. Huawei has been working on a replacement OS to Android for their phones since they saw this coming. It's not ready for release yet but they're going to be stepping up production and may have a first release this Fall.

I'm interested in it because I would love to develop apps for a new ecosystem and capture a share of the market. It's a lot harder to do that with Android. Many are saying that Huawei has a huge hill to climb because all the marketing power and money of Microsoft couldn't sustain their own mobile OS or attract enough developers. But they're ignoring one thing, China could very well ban Android phones within China after they get their own OS and with the size of the market there alone, it could be huge, regardless of whether anybody else takes it up.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Even though Huawei says their government does not influence them, I am sure the Chinese security agency probably does have some secret code in the Huawei products that does send back network traffic info back to China.
I am sure China will also fund the Huawei company, if it is necessary, to keep it from floundering financially.

I would also not be surprised if the US Security Agency, also, does not have some computer code in some of the network products that are made by American companies.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I think that both scenarios are pretty likely.

But my point wasn't that the company would flounder. It's that analysts were saying a new mobile OS would be face a real uphill struggle to do well as it has to attract developers to create apps for it to attract the users and developers want the users first. Classic chicken-and-egg problem. For anybody else that would be true, but with China, they already have a huge potential user base and the power to force their residents to use this OS which would force other mobile companies to also offer it to get their users.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13