• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PrimeOS

Started by fox, May 18, 2019, 07:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Have any of you heard of PrimeOS? I just read about it in this article. It's Android running on a computer that has regular windows. I'm not sure if it's still beta quality, but it would be nice to see if anyone can run it (maybe on a Virtual Machine - Harry). To read about it or download it, go here.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I thought at first it was another android emulator but apparently you install it to its own partition and it boots up running Android. It's new this year apparently. I found out about in this article about android emulators (though it's not an emulator they point out).

My wife used Bluestacks (an android emulator) under Windows for about a year when she couldn't borrow my android tablet often enough :) It worked pretty well but she found there were some apps that didn't work. This might work better since it looks like it's booting up an actual Android OS. Genymotion is often recommended for android developers who have trouble getting the AVDs (Android Virtual Devices) working under Android Studio if they don't have enough RAM or lack an Intel processor.

I'm curious although not sure if I'm curious enough to try PrimeOS.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

The PrimeOS website I believe, only mentioned dual booting with Windows, but apparently it can dual boot alongside Linux or run as a Live USB.
See this article    https://fossbytes.com/primeos-android-based-desktop-os-old-pcs/
and  usb stick instructions
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/rom-x86-primeos-laptops-desktops-t3858992
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on May 19, 2019, 03:48:55 AM
The PrimeOS website I believe, only mentioned dual booting with Windows, but apparently it can dual boot alongside Linux or run as a Live USB.
See this article    https://fossbytes.com/primeos-android-based-desktop-os-old-pcs/

Thanks, Bill. I was wondering that because that was my take from the website, as well.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I used Etcher to put the PrimeOS onto a usb flash drive but it failed to boot up the OS.  There were a lot of command line failures showing and then it just showed a command line reboot of the notebook, into the Mint distro on the notebook. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Which version did you download, Bill? It looks like this can be quite important:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78858613&postcount=2387

I also get the impression from the download site you can't run it as a live USB - it looks like it's just for installing manually, I guess for if you don't have Windows which is the way they recommend you do it. So that may interest you less perhaps?

ssfc72

I downloaded the version for recent hardware since i was using my newer Dell notebook with an Intel I7 cpu.

ssfc72

OK, I got PrimeOS running from a usb flash drive, on my lowly HP 11" notebook, Intel Pentium N3700 CPU.
For this older notebook I downloaded the 64 bit PrimeOS iso for older notebooks.

Boots up quite fast!
Brings up a nice desktop withe the usual icons to log onto a wifi network. No problems logging onto my home wifi network.

Has a Chrome browser icon to bring up the Chrome browser.  No need to log into a Google account unless you need to install some apps.

Youtube videos work just fine by going to the Youtube website with the Chrome browser.  Sound/video works just fine.

Trackpad on the notebook works well.

I am quite impressed!

fox

That's encouraging, Bill. Do you think that the problem you had is related to "newer hardware"? I was surprised that you couldn't install this on a Dell xps 13, given that it only had standard Intel hardware. I might try this on my older Acer laptop.

ssfc72

I used a different usb flash drive for this PrimeOS install on the flash drive.

I suspect the problem with PrimeOS not working on the Dell notebooks may have been with the usb flashdrive that was being used.
The usb flashrdrive did have another Live Distro on it and it is quite hard to  clear it off.  I had to use Gparted and it was giving me numerous complaints about things, during the process.

I will try the PrimeOS on a usb flash drive, on the Dell's again, and see if I can get it to work.

ssfc72

Ok, I used the same usb flash drive with PrimeOS, that I used on my HP Pentium N3700 and it worked fine on the Dell 14" Inspiron Intel I7 notebook. :-)

Everything works on the Dell notebook, that worked on the HP notebook.  Nice!

I am posting this message from the Live PrimeOS. :-)

fox

Way to persevere, Bill! Any reason to think it wouldn't work on your xps 13, which you were having trouble with yesterday?

ssfc72

I expect the PrimeOS Live usb flash drive should also work on the my Dell XPS.  I will try that, this evening.

fox

Is the version you used, or are using on the Inspiron/xps 13 the one for older or newer hardware? I wouldn't mind trying this on my xps if it works on yours. Other questions: (1) you were able to run it live, correct? (2) if you tried installing it, did you have to have it create a grub, or did the grub of one of your other installations pick it up?

ssfc72

Ok Mike, I have PrimeOS running nicely on my Dell XPS 13, as a Live Distro from a usb flash drive.

I haven't done any install of PrimeOS.

I am using the version of PrimeOS iso that is 64 bit  but for older hardware.  I may try again, the version of PrimeOS that is for newer hardware,  since I think my initial problem with the newer hardware iso was related to the different usb flash drive that I was using.

I am posting this message from a Live PrimeOS on a usb flash drive, running on my Dell 13" XPS.