• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PCLinuxOS and the Guest Additions Disagreement

Started by buster, April 09, 2019, 08:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Jesse Smith reviewed Pclos on Distrowatch this week and mentioned the problem with his virtual machine install. I had already mentioned this on their forums (been a member since 2006), and chimed in on the comments at Distrowatch. (The needed software can be downloaded thru Synaptic (or an equivalent) on pretty well every distro I've tried. Sometimes it's already installed!)

Users of Pclos are very sensitive. ;) They did not take well to this. Apparently their distro is perfection as it stands, and criticism is fake news.

So to use Pclos in virtual requires the traditional terminal commands. Which is an unnecessary pain to me. On principle I wont use it in virtual for this reason. Ease of use has to be the focus for desktop Linux now.

This is probably just a post to show how easily I get annoyed in my old age. And maybe some at Pclos have never heard of the KISS principle.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I can't find the post right now but I mentioned trying to add the tools for Virtualbox and had the same experience that Jesse did. A broken desktop. Not impressed. This might happen because it's not a derivative distro and they do things their own way. I saw something about just deleting the xorg.conf file afterwards and then it would work. How the heck would anybody know that?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I would be interested to know what the command line commands/steps are, that would allow a successful install of PCLOS into a Virtual Machine program!

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on April 10, 2019, 03:07:54 AM
I can't find the post right now but I mentioned trying to add the tools for Virtualbox and had the same experience that Jesse did. A broken desktop. Not impressed. This might happen because it's not a derivative distro and they do things their own way. I saw something about just deleting the xorg.conf file afterwards and then it would work. How the heck would anybody know that?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Jason

I'm pretty sure that was the procedure I followed and it didn't work. I notice the post is from 2014, too.

Update: I should add that this was with testing with the previous version of PCLinuxOS, not the March edition that recently came out. I'm going to give that version a try and see if it still has this issue.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks Buster and Jason!
I will be looking for your latest test install of PCLOS in Virtual, Jason. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

So I use VMWare, and can find nothing for guest additions in the Pclos forum. Downloaded, reinstalled, did all 265 updates for the latest Pclos. I can't even change the display settings - it jumps back to the default.

Now, at the present moment, in virtual, I have deepin, mx, Lite, Mint, suse, and mageia all capable of running at full screen, and all with drag and drop working. Any others I've tested also worked, with basically no effort - except Pclos.

Two thumbs down, and even some toes, for this distro.

note added later: If you would like to try a derivative of Mandrake, as Pclos is, I would highly recommend Mageia -very solid and professional. (Ripples of Suse seem to run thru it.) Secure, clear, and as far as I can see, everything works. Pretty quick too. Not trendy, but attractive. I come back to this word 'solid' again, but not stodgy like Suse. KDE - lovely desktop.