• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

FastestVPN on sale

Started by fox, March 22, 2019, 11:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

You can get this for a year for $US10 through BundleHunt. It shows up as a MacOS bundle, but FastestVPN runs on every platform, including Linux, and you can download the Linux app from the FastestVPN website. It gets a good write-up, and it seems to run pretty fast. Features:

• P2P optimized servers let you download & stream HD video w/ zero buffering and complete anonymity
  • 10 Multi Logins
  • Utilizes military-grade 256-bit AES encryption on all of its 100+ servers
  • Unlimited server switches and bandwidth
  • NAT firewall provides an additional layer of protection
  • Malware protection ensures the sites you visit are safe to access
  • Ad blocker prevents unfavorable ads from popping up on your screen
  • Internet kill switch protects your IP from being exposed if your connection drops
  • No logging policy guarantees nobody will ever have your private information
  • Bypass geo-restrictions & unlock any site you want
  • Use on 5 different devices at once
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Most of those features are pretty standard for VPN providers. That price is amazing but maybe too amazing. I assume it's in USD. Let us know how it goes if you get it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Here is one review that I found.  Not very encouraging.  The info about leaking IP addresses was an eyeopener.

https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/fastestvpn/

And for IP leaks
https://ipleak.net
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I read that review as well, and it indicates that the leaks were fixed. There were a lot of positives and a few negatives. The major negatives: usually doesn't work with Netflix, hard to get help, and not as many locations as some other vpn services. Well I tried email help on two other VPNs and did no better. As far as Netflix goes, I wasn't counting on it for that. For locations, there are still plenty and up until now, I've never had any because I never used a vpn.

I figured that for $US10 it was worth trying for a year. I'm running it through openVPN and so far it seems fine. It seems like a no-brainer at that price for someone who either doesn't have a vpn or is unhappy with theirs. PIA would have been a very good alternative at the old price, but it was still $US70 for two years, and they were one of the two companies with poor help service (didn't answer a help request for about 5 days and then gave me useless help).

ssfc72

Sounds good, Mike!.

Did you go to that site, that I put a Link to,  that checks for IP Leaks.
I tested my PIA vpn and it showed no leaks, that reveal my actual ISP IP.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

I didn't until I saw your reply. So I did test, and no leak.

ssfc72

Did you have to install OpenVPN, on your Linux Distro, to use for the VPN?

Quote from: fox on March 23, 2019, 08:07:09 AM

I'm running it through openVPN and so far it seems fine.

fox

I went to install openVPN, as instructed on the FastestVPN website, but it had already been installed in Ubuntu 18.10.

Jason

I use openvpn in Fedora because the PIA client while it sometimes works can be unpredictable there. It's built into networking on many (most?) desktops you just click on VPN in networking. But usually you have to download the certs (a bunch of files with server configs) if you want to be able to choose between multiple servers. Honestly, the client is a lot nicer way of doing it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

That wasn't an option with FastVPN. The only other option was to use a cli client. But I don't mind doing it through openVPN. It puts an icon in my Ubuntu menubar and it's easy to change servers through it.