• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Windows Zero Day vunerability

Started by ssfc72, March 08, 2019, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.techspot.com/news/79089-major-windows-7-zero-day-discovered-enables-privileged.html

There are 2 Zero Day vulnerabilities involved and they are being exploited .  One with the the Chrome browser and one with Windows 7.   Windows is still working on a fix.  Windows 10 is secure.

If you are using the Chrome browser, make sure it has the latest update.  An update has just been issued for the Chrome browser to stop the Chrome vulnerability.

The vulnerability gives the attacker elevated privileges on your computer.

Might be a co-incidence, but my brother had his old Windows 7 notebook go down and it is still in the shop. The tech said it had a virus.
My brother had McAffee Antivirus running on the notebook computer.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Thanks for posting this, Bill. Can I assume that Firefox either isn't vulnerable or has been fixed?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Thanks, Bill.

Fox: From what I can read it's a bug in Windows 7 and a bug in Chrome but it sounds like the privilege escalation is possible because of the combination of using them together. I don't see anything related to Firefox. MS also says they think their bug only affects 32-bit Windows systems. I'd be very surprised if you had a 32-bit version of Win7 That goes back at least 10 years.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on March 08, 2019, 10:35:01 PM
Fox: .... I'd be very surprised if you had a 32-bit version of Win7 That goes back at least 10 years.
I have one on a virtual machine to allow me to run a software program that I couldn't get running on Win 7 64 bit. Ironically, I haven't used that program in years.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13