• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Rolling release distros

Started by Rational35, March 04, 2019, 02:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rational35

Rolling-release stuff: I've noticed lately that PCLOS updates are coming at an almost alarming rate. I did an update 12 hours ago on a Sunday afternoon, all up-to-date. Then YAD was flagging updates again. Went to the screenshot shown.

Some of the stuff is related to having multiple desktops installed: OK, I'm a KDE guy. It's my comfort zone. But, I like to have Mate installed for an occasional change of scenery, although I find it a bit spartan. Plus, I like some of the Mate apps, like Pluma, Atril, Eye of Mate, and Audio Recorder, even when I'm in KDE-land. And I've decided to explore LXDE, and LXQT, XFCE,  and a couple others (again) when I want to pare down system resource usage, and live in a simpler world for a bit. All there as login options.

Kernel upgrades seem to come in about twice a week- it's accelerated since the Spectre/Meltdown debacle, and just hasn't slowed down.
Linux localhost.localdomain 4.20.13-pclos1 #1 SMP Wed Feb 27 14:56:26 CST 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
is the latest I'm running, I'm sure it'll be at 4.20.14 by Tuesday...

Cheers

Rational35

Jason,

Maybe I should have moved that last post to a new topic: "Rolling releases" or something
Feel free..

Admin: DONE

Rational35

5 hours later, at 7:23am, 43 upgraded packages to download.
Someone is very busy...

fox

This is one of the things that drives me crazy about rolling releases. It's nice to have the latest versions of everything, but I can wait six months until Ubuntu puts out its next version.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13