• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop pre-beta testing

Started by Jason, March 01, 2019, 09:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Btw, I tried the weekly build last night for Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop in a VM. It was produced Feb. 26 and it broke. I couldn't update it. I chose to do the downloads during the install which worked. But when I went to update after the install, the updater froze and eventually told me it had crashed. I couldn't even get System Monitor up to kill the updater. Going to try to update it in the terminal and see what happens.

Btw, I allocated to the guest 4 GB of RAM, two processor cores, turned on 3D acceleration and gave 128 MB for video RAM.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

After a night of sleep and a reboot I was greeted with Ubuntu starting in what I recall as failsafe mode. Terminal-only and a big complaint about filesystem errors. That might be because I had to use a "hardware" shutdown after the update crash as icons were clickable but didn't do anything any longer. It was late. I was tired. I don't remember.

Anyway, It suggested I run fsck which surprisingly looks almost identical to came out of my mouth when I saw it. After doing so (with fsck /dev/sda1), and hitting <enter> about 20 or so times (see attachment) and typing reboot, I was greeted with the normal desktop. And this time the update worked.

Then I got cocky and tried Software Manager. which appeared to freeze after not showing anything. I could close it but I don't think it really closed because if I clicked it again, it appeared instantly like I had just minimized it. Ubuntu gave me a message saying it had crashed and offered to send a report, which didn't work, though I'm not really sure. It didn't show the normal crash report window but maybe that is gone now? I had to use System Monitor to kill Software Manager and when I restarted it this time, it came up and I was able to successfully install Gimp which happens to be a snap.

This is fun! You never know what is going to happen next. It's like a big adventure.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

First thoughts on changes in 19.04. The icons are different looking - softer, more pleasant on the eyes. You can see what I mean  below. Clicking on the image is best as the thumbnail downgrade in size loses something.

Livepatch seems to be a new feature which lets you install updates that would normally require a reboot. It does require creating an account to use so I didn't bother.

I don't recall seeing AisleRiot Solitaire and Soduko before so I think they are new games to the default install but I'm not a normal Ubuntu user so that could be wrong.

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on March 01, 2019, 10:14:47 AM
First thoughts on changes in 19.04. The icons are different looking - softer, more pleasant on the eyes....
Livepatch seems to be a new feature which lets you install updates that would normally require a reboot. It does require creating an account to use so I didn't bother.
Thanks for taking this alpha version for a spin and telling us about it. I knew that Ubuntu has been working on the icons. They did a nice transition with the Yaru icons, and it looks like more improvements are on the way. I wish they would change the LibreOffice icons more substantively. I don't care for the current ones, and other icon sets like Deepin have done a much nicer job with these.

Livepatch is in Ubuntu 18.10. I think it was introduced in that version.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

Ubuntu 19.04 has been released. I just did an upgrade on my home iMac and on my Dell laptop. Software Updater didn't show the upgrade for some reason, so I did from a Terminal. Very simple, main command is:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Full instructions are here. The upgrades were successful; I'm writing this message on Disco. The upgrade is supposed to make the commands and windows more responsive, and that does seem to be the case.

Jason

I'm doing it for Kubuntu right now. I'll post a separate topic if I have issues or anything interesting to say about it.

fox

I upgraded a different laptop last night. This time the Software Updater showed it was available and I was able to do it from the GUI. Again, it went smoothly. I have to say that I have attempted Upgrades upgrades since version 7.10 and I can't recall a single one that failed.

Jason