• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Distros in PLUG

Started by Jason, February 27, 2019, 08:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

For the choices, I used the top 10 ranked distros at Distrowatch for the past 12 months and I added a couple more that I know some use. You can make more than one choice.

Feel free to comment and tell us your choices below. Otherwise it's anonymous. Oh, and if you have more than one account, ahem, Buster, only vote once, please. :)

Feel free to tell us below if you changed distros recently or make a stand for your fave. You can change your votes until the poll closes.

We'll run the poll for 30 days so everybody has a chance even if they seldom come here. Come on you, lurkers! :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I included all distros currently on my computers, except I forgot one, Arch. But the survey misses an important distinction. Most of us do some distrohopping, so what's on our computer at any given time doesn't reflect its true use. I would suggest that you set up the survey again, but this time with two or three categories by each distro: regular use; occasional (or testing); use on a virtual machine.
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

It's just a fun poll, not really a survey. And it's meant to be only a snapshot in time.

With SMF, you can't really break down a poll like that as it only gives you one question with as many of choices as you like to add. To do what you're suggesting would require multiple polls and it would be march harder to interpret quickly with the eye. I could only do that suggestion with multiple polls (one for regular use, one for occasional and one for VMs).

Also comparing how often you use it with it being a VM is comparing apples to oranges. It's possible to use a VM and have it it regularly used (or occasionally used) as Buster or Codepoet do.

But thanks for the suggestion. I may do separate polls for regular use and occasional use another time.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I have never set up a poll, so I didn't realize that you couldn't do it in the way I proposed. I thought one could set up a poll like a spreadsheet.

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 27, 2019, 05:36:06 PM
.... It's possible to use a VM and have it it regularly used (or occasionally used) as Buster or Codepoet do.
Even the term, regular, can have different meanings for people. I have a Windows vm running on a Linux host. It's there for when I need to access Windows software that does not run in Wine. I don't open that vm often, but it is used at regular intervals, probably twice a month on average. I'm sure that Codepoet uses his vm much more frequently as part of his job.