• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux for Beginners - MX Linux

Started by buster, February 16, 2019, 06:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

A year or two ago, I was hesitant to recommend MX for beginners. The motto of Mepis was "It just works." And I think MX fills the role of it's ancestor beautifully. It does 'just work'. Nothing convoluted or difficult.Everything you will ever need is in the bottom left hand corner somewhere. And it's good for older hardware. Codecs are there as well.

And it has been promoted to the Major Distributions  page of Distrowatch, which indicates a certain belief in this reincarnation of Mepis.

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

I think it's a good choice for this list.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

HOWEVER....

I think Mint is better. And not just a bit. It is the gold standard in my admittedly warped opinion.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I think you're right that it's good for beginners. I'm considering a rethink of that Distros for Beginners page. What I'd like to do is for us to decide on some criteria of what makes a good distro for beginners. More on this later.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I still have MX installed on a laptop and I agree that it is really easy to install and operate. But the one thing against it is that it doesn't work with secure boot. It's easy enough to disable secure boot, but maybe not for beginners.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on February 16, 2019, 10:02:22 PM
I still have MX installed on a laptop and I agree that it is really easy to install and operate. But the one thing against it is that it doesn't work with secure boot. It's easy enough to disable secure boot, but maybe not for beginners.

Good point. Do you know if any of the other distros listed on our Beginner Linux Distros page don't work with secure boot?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 17, 2019, 12:50:44 PM
Do you know if any of the other distros listed on our Beginner Linux Distros page don't work with secure boot?
All of those listed are based on Ubuntu, and therefore should work with secure boot. MX Linux is based on Debian, which apparently will not.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Thanks. Strange that Debian doesn't bother to get their kernel registered but then again Debian probably hates Secure Boot and wants nothing to do with it.