• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Open vm tools in Linux virtual installs

Started by buster, February 11, 2019, 10:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

I always push for this implementation of the tools when using a virtual machine because it is a dead easy method. And it's a fully supported method aided by vmware itself. It seems to work as well with VB. Here's a short article about them from vmware docs.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/10.1.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vmwaretools.doc/GUID-8B6EA5B7-453B-48AA-92E5-DB7F061341D1.html
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

By the way, all the major distros work with vmware to implement this easy method. The only distro I've tested that doesn't have the files is pclinuxos, which advertises itself, ironically, as 'radically simple'. I noted the juxtaposition of the omission of these files with their motto, but not in an offensive way I hope.

Maybe they will have to change their motto to "Radically Simple Except Sometimes".  :)

Jason

To be fair, I don't think simple for most people is running a distro in a VM. Yes, it's simpler in actual use once you understand it but the average person's eyes glaze over when you talk about what an operating system is.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"To be fair, I don't think simple for most people is running a distro in a VM."

I suppose. But if it is a bit difficult, why make it monumentally difficult to get the guest additions in? I use pretty well mouse clicks to set up my distos. And if I can install in vmware, it must be easy, right Mike? 'If not simple, then at least simpler' is my motto.  :)

buster

Just an oddity, but I found out I've been a member of the PCLinuxOS forum for over 18 years, and have made almost 150 posts. Remember using it for years, but not my forum involvement. Same password as I guessed it would be.

Did a formal request to put open-vm-tools software into the repositories. People viewing it, but no response so far.

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13