• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Bitcoin - Canadian Cryptocurrency founder Gerald Cotten, age 30, dies

Started by ssfc72, February 09, 2019, 07:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://business.financialpost.com/technology/blockchain/how-gerald-cotten-built-quadriga-and-created-the-ensuing-crypto-storm

A very interesting article about how his business, Quadriga was started and is now in Bankruptcy, owing 260 million dollars.

The 92,000 Client's money/cryptocurrency is apparently locked in a password protected notebook computer and USB key, which no one but Cotten knew the password.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Fascinating story. Wired had an article on it, too. It was pretty much a one-man operation in terms of how the transactions were handed and was strange even for cryptocurrency. This quote from the Wired article is enlightening and most amusing, or at least I thought so.

“It’s astounding to me that a company of this size can be run with the same accounting procedures of Joe’s Fish ‘n Chips, with a single person in charge and no accountability,” says Emin Gun Sirer, a blockchain adviser and professor of computer science at Cornell University. “That’s far from the norm. It’s not a good look for our industry.”

And there's an awesome tweet here that speaks volumes. Regardless, if the investors didn't at least *try* to get their money out when the entire board or directors resigned in 2018, I don't have any sympathy for them.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13