• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Plug Meeting - February - Home networking woes.

Started by cod3poet, February 03, 2019, 02:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cod3poet

Outbreak is over and we are on for Monday

To continue the home networking series we'll be showing how a raspberry pi is a terrible choice for a router, and using commodity hardware with an actual network adapter is the key to a secure and stable network. I will be demoing OPNSense rather than PFSense and highlighting the differences between both, as well as showing off what a raspberry pi CAN be used for to help secure your network.

Date: Monday, Feburary 4th 2019 - 7 PM
1500 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Glen-VE3LIZ

Good evening.  Just saw the notice for the meeting on Monday and we will be traveling to Peterborough to attend.  Weather looks fairly good also. Thanks.
Glen, VE3LIZ.

cod3poet

The roads should hopefully clear up it's been pretty dicey and the sidewalks are still treacherous. I a few hours mid day until 4pm running the roads and survived however.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

buster

I was talking to Trevor in Metro about his experiences in the north, and his present work - fascinating.

He may be joining us, which would be great. 
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Glen-VE3LIZ

Jason

Thanks for an interesting and useful presentation, Brian!

I don't know that I need all the cabilities that OPNsense has but it's cool to know the option is there. I think if I was running a local media server or other features than just using it as a router, I'd probably go for it. I'm definitely going to try out as a VM to find out the extent of its capabilities.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13