• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

USB TV tuner for OTA (over the air) HD TV reception and recording

Started by ssfc72, January 25, 2019, 02:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Ok, it has been over a year since I last posted a message about using the above device, running under Linux.
https://forums.plugintolinux.ca/index.php/topic,358.msg2059.html#msg2059

I have been using a Kworld, usb ATSC TV stick, model UB435-Q.  You plug it into your usb port, on your computer and attach the coax lead, from your external tv antenna.
In the Lindsay/ Peterborough area there are 2 HD TV broadcast channels which you should be able to scan for and tune in.  They are CHEX TV and CFTO.
I can get both of these OTA tv stations from my house in Lindsay with an indoor rabbit ear antenna.
If you live in Port Hope or Cobourg you would get many, many more OTA TV stations, including USA channels.

Unfortunately the Kworld UB435-Q is no longer being made. I think I bought mine for around $40.

So, I am running Linux Mint 19.1 and from the Repositories I downloaded and installed the media player, Kaffeine. My notebook computer has an Intel I7 cpu (I have also used the usb tv tuner on a 12" notebook computer running an Intel N3700 cpu).

Boot up Kaffeine and from the menu, select Digital TV (plug your usb ATSC tv tuner into the usb port, before booting up Kaffeine).
After I click on the Digital TV icon, my Kworld usb tv tuner then lights up a red led, to show that the device is powered up.
You then have to set up your usb tv tuner by going to the Kaffeine menu, at the top of the window and click on the Television icon.
Now you have to click on the Configure icon, at the bottom of the drop down menu.
In the new window you should see a menu item, at the top of the window, titled, Device1.  Click on that menu item.
The only thing to change here is the "Source" menu item.  I selected  "us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB-062009
Select "OK"

Go back to the Television menu item, at the top of your main Kaffeine window and select "Channels"
Now you have to click on, "Start Scan", to scan for available OTA tv channels, from your location.  Hopefully you will see a list of tv channels, show up, in the "scan Results" table, on the right side.
Click on the each tv channel shown, to highlight the channels.  Click on the "OK" icon, at the bottom and it should add the selected tv channels to the "Channels table, on the left hand side.

To record the tv show you are watching, there some icons at the bottom of the left panel, showing in Kaffeine.  If you move your mouse pointer over the icons, it will show what each icon is for. The icon to the far right is the "Instant Record" and click on it will automatically start recording the tv program, that you are watching.
You can set up a "Recording Schedule" by going again to the "Television" menu item, and selecting, recording schedule.

I hope this helps anyone who does purchase a USB ATSC TV Tuner, and uses Linux to operate the tv tuner.  It is great, that with Linux, this usb tv tuner just works by installing Kaffeine and not have to mess with drivers, like you would using the Windows OS.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 25, 2019, 02:26:18 AM
I hope this helps anyone who does purchase a USB ATSC TV Tuner, and uses Linux to operate the tv tuner.  It is great, that with Linux, this usb tv tuner just works by installing Kaffeine and not have to mess with drivers, like you would using the Windows OS.

Thanks for sharing and I agree, that's pretty cool. Pretty much plug and play with Linux in this case.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BrianP

Actually in Peterborough you can get 3  HDTV stations  12-1 Chex, 27-1 Global and 35-1 CFTO Toronto with a little better antenna.
There is another option for Linux app.  I use MythTV a little more complicated install but worth it, Full record capabilities, 30 sec. commercial skip or more, and you can share your recordings on you home network with other Linux/window installs.
Also if you have the time and skills MythTV can use scripts  so you can cut the commercials on your recordings.

Jason

How big of an antenna do you need to get CFTO, as well? And what tuner do you use, Brian? I ask since Bill mentioned his isn't available for sale anymore.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

BrianP

I bought this cheap indoor amplified antenna . It is in my basement facing south and a little west about 15 feet from window.
It gets channel 12 and 35 unless the weather is bad. this works best sticking to a window: But these small antenna really do not work much better than bunny ears . This one is amplified. about $25
here is the link: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DPTLVMM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a much better antenna in my bedroom closet which is actually facing north and a bit west - It is kinda parallel to my neighbours house which is like 15 feet away from my house. The antenna is by the outside wall. Not Amplified the reception is much more reliable.
If I place this same antenna by my southish facing window on my main floor i ge 12,35 and 27.
At night I even got a Buffalo station. If I was to put outside it would be way more reliable and it cost $23.
here is the link:
https://www.primecables.ca/p-356275-cab-av-0966v-primecables-hdtv-outdoor-antenna-high-gain-for-both-vhfuhf

Jason

Interesting. I don't know if I'll ever watch regular tv again but it's nice to have options. And you can't beat the price of free tv channels.

ssfc72

Thanks for the info, Brian!
I will have to look into that MythTV program.

Quote from: BrianP on January 28, 2019, 04:30:17 PM
Actually in Peterborough you can get 3  HDTV stations  12-1 Chex, 27-1 Global and 35-1 CFTO Toronto with a little better antenna.
There is another option for Linux app.  I use MythTV a little more complicated install but worth it, Full record capabilities, 30 sec. commercial skip or more, and you can share your recordings on you home network with other Linux/window installs.
Also if you have the time and skills MythTV can use scripts  so you can cut the commercials on your recordings.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service