• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Income Tax Programs for 2018 tax year

Started by ssfc72, January 16, 2019, 09:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Once again, it's that time of year when the income tax programs for doing your 2018 tax year filing. are available for download.

As usual the 2 programs I recommend are:

StudioTax     https://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=1
This is a Windows based program and is completely free to download and use.  It works very well.

MyTaxExpress    https://www.mytaxexpress.com/index18.html

This is a Windows based program but it does run under Linux, using the WINE program.  It works very well.
It is free to download and run but costs $6.99 per return, if you want to print/Netfile the results.
People with an income of less than $25,000 can use the program for free.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

I was looking a the studiotax site. Does it lead you through a comprehensive software program to guide you without actually using the government pages, or is it a better unified paper copy look alike, with number corrections when you change something?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

I think StudioTax may have a wizard to help you with inputing your tax information.

I never have needed to use a wizard for help.  I just enter my T slips from my workplace pension, banks, CPP, OAS, Ontario Senior Benefits, Property tax credit,  etc. and the tax program does all the necessary calculations.

If you change any of the values, that you enter, the program automatically recalculates all the values.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. And even at $6.99, that's pretty decent.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

So StudioTax runs only in Windows or a Windows VM, but MyTaxExpress runs in Wine?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

StudioTax should run in Windows VM.

MyTaxExpress runs in Windows or it will run in Linux, using the WINE program. :-)

Quote from: fox on January 18, 2019, 12:44:43 PM
So StudioTax runs only in Windows or a Windows VM, but MyTaxExpress runs in Wine?