• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Trying different desktop environments in MX Linux 18

Started by buster, January 02, 2019, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

The developers have done an amazing procedure with this bit of software. As you will see from the picture, you can install  KDE, Gnome, Budgie, LXDE and Mate over the default Xfce. A couple of comments on this ability -

a) I installed MX Linux right  from the default iso.
b) Budgie messed up my system so badly that I thought I was going to have to reinstall. But poke about and hope saved the day. I would recommend you avoid this one.
c) Xfce is installed automatically during the original install.

To get to the desktop environment install app go to MX Tools and find Simple Package Installer. You'll see it inside. (See the picture.) Each install takes maybe a minute and some.

LXDE was much better than I expected, and Mate is what I'm familiar with.

To use a different environment logout, then for login, look in the top right corner and find the tab that gives you the list. Select and sign in.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

buster

buster

Budgie, an unfinished project her I think

Mod's note: I just edited this post to remove the duplicate attachment.

fox

I think if I were doing Budgie I would either use Solus or Ubuntu Budgie. I'm not a KDE fan myself, although I don't mind the openSUSE implementation of it. The XFCE version seems pretty good, but I didn't see that nice wallpaper there as shown on your screenshot.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

" The XFCE version seems pretty good, but I didn't see that nice wallpaper there as shown on your screenshot."

Years of study to get a wallpaper like that Mike. Years of study.

buster

Jason

Thanks for the tip and the tour of desktop environments for MX Linux, Harry! Splendid to see the various options.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

I think OpenBox is available in the default install as well, and can be tried. My memory of OpenBox includes lots of frustration. Maybe I should try it again.

MX Linux is number 2 on Distrowatch when set to 6 months. I hope more people in the club try it, if only for the fun of changing environments.

buster

Tried OpenBox. At first I thought it didn't work - there was just a grey screen. But a right click showed otherwise with a very limited selection. Fixing this involved a simple search to find a good page, but the process might stretch on to use all of my limited years. To see what I mean, scroll quickly down this page:

https://www.devpy.me/your-guide-to-a-comfortable-linux-desktop-with-openbox/

I am now out of OpenBox, but others might find the whole thing of building a usable desktop intriguing..

Jason

Openbox is more of a window manager than a desktop environment from what I understand. I think for that just want something to start programs with and otherwise have the desktop stay out of your way, openbox is a good choice. I seem to recall that Brian liked it, that is, if he had to use a any graphical environment at all. It's pretty sparse and meant to be so. I remember when it was a bit part of Crunchbang Linux and that made it popular with the minimalist crowd.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

The version of openbox that Crunchbang used and BunsenLabs still uses is enhanced to be much more user-friendly and easy to customize than that provided by Debian (and presumably MX). A quote from the DistroWatch review of BunsenLabs Linux:

"If you have ever installed vanilla Openbox on Debian you will know that by default Openbox presents you with a completely black screen. You can open a menu by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop but that is as far as the default feature-set goes. Openbox is very customisable, though, and with the help of other applications it is possible to add things like a panel and wallpaper.

BunsenLabs gives you a fully functioning system out of the box. The desktop features a single panel with a "launcher" area (for application shortcuts), a system tray and two workspace switchers / task bars. The combined workspace switchers / task bars are very smart; they not only let you switch from one workspace to the other but also show you which applications are open in which workspace. If you want to move an application to a different workspace you can simply drag its icon to the workspace."

My own experience with BunsenLabs was very positive. Openbox is quite functional when a GUI customization tool is provided with it (Openbox menu). BunsenLabs also includes tint2, a very capable taskbar. I wouldn't criticize MX for not providing a more user-friendly version of Openbox because it isn't one of their specialties.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13