• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Tiny quotes

Started by fox, December 13, 2018, 08:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I've noticed that when a message is quoted, the result is tiny text that is almost unreadable (at least with my eyes). Any way to fix this and make the quoted text larger?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I've noticed the tiny quotes also with my old eyes. I use copy/paste with quotation marks, and it, to me , is easier to read.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Can one of you guys give me a screenshot and let me know what theme you're using and I'll look into it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

I'm asking for this because the quotes don't appear to be me as being any smaller. Btw, not sure if you guys realize this but you can hold the Ctrl key and use the scroll wheel to size web pages up and down. I think that works in Firefox as well as Chrome. I use it all the time for many websites - my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either :) Not sure for Firefox, but Chrome will even remember what magnification you've used for a particular website.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"Not sure for Firefox"

Yes. Ctrl + Scroll works in Firefox

buster

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on December 13, 2018, 10:41:59 AM
Btw, not sure if you guys realize this but you can hold the Ctrl key and use the scroll wheel to size web pages up and down. I think that works in Firefox as well as Chrome.
Works in Firefox for me as well; ctrl + does the same thing. But the regular text is fine as is; only the quoting text is small. I figured that there would be an easy fix; that's why I posted the query.

Jason

Thanks, Buster! If either of you could check in your user profile to see what theme you're using, that would help, too. It's under Profile -> Forum Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme

fox

Mine is forum or board default.

buster

"check in your user profile"

Three of my systems never sign in, and I have never changed mine. So what I see is what every person sees who has no account. So I guess it's the default.

Jason

Quote from: fox on December 13, 2018, 01:30:04 PM
I figured that there would be an easy fix; that's why I posted the query.

Not as easy as Ctrl-Scroll. This is the page I have to search through trying to find where the creator of the theme put the quotes settings. At least I think this is the page. On this screenshot, it shows the file, the far right shows the entire file and the little blue box at the top-right how much of the file we're seeing on screen. I thought I had found it, as it at least shows me a preview on this website when I change the file but the preview shows the quotes as being normal size after I made a change but then when I save that and look at various topics, it's back to being tiny again. I may have to change themes.

Jason

Do you guys not see this screen in your user profile? I circled what I'm looking for.

It should show you which theme you're on. Even if you haven't changed the default, I may have which is why I'm hoping you can check for me and the default only applies to new users unless I force it. That's why I'm asking.

fox

As I noted earlier, my theme is "Forum or Board default". That's what is written to the right of "current theme".

Jason

That's... odd. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure you weren't telling me the time format :)

Jason

I've spent a couple of hours on trying to fix this and no luck so far. I recall trying to work on this before, too. I thought it was the theme style sheet but I changed the font size from x-small to small and though it showed in the preview, saving it didn't show a change.

So then I looked at the original theme thinking maybe there was style sheet code it was importing and not overriding and changed it there, too. Nope.

If anybody goes to any other forums based on SMF (usually says at the very bottom of the page) where the quotes don't appear as small, let me know where it is and I'll contact the administrator to see how they did it. I might sometime set up a fresh install of SMF on my own machine just to see if it's something that's normal or something specific to our forums. But'd I'd have to really bored :)