• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Who's getting the hits on Distrowatch?

Started by buster, December 12, 2018, 09:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

This doesn't tell us what is being used, but I guess it does tell us what is creating interest.

I set the graph on the right to six months, refreshed, and noted some surprises.

Manjaro in first, Zorin and Elementary in top ten, MXLinux in third, Lite and Deepin in top 20, well, go here and look:

https://distrowatch.com/

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I've noticed in the last few years that many of the well known and presumably heavily used distros have been dropping in the DistroWatch ratings, including Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat/CentOS, and openSUSE. The only other one that's still up there is Linux Mint. I'm not sure what it means, but I strongly doubt that this is an indicator of a major decline in use. It may simply be that for these well known distros, people interested in them go right to their websites, rather than through DistroWatch. In my case, I would only start with DistroWatch if I'm getting bored and want to try something new, as their site provides a lot of information on distros, including links to reviews. I actually visit DistroWatch daily, mostly for news on updates, plus their weekly edition.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I agree that it doesn't indicate use, but it does seem to indicate curiosity and maybe installs. I was a little shocked by the heights that MXLinux (the successor to Mepis) has reached. And the reviews are pretty good. So I did what any red blooded Linux user would do and installed it on my virtual software this morning. Quick install, but lots of updates which were my my fault because I could have got a snapshot from  this month.

Only flaw I could find was that VLC didn't work. But Dragonplayer and Clementine did. So easy to use and find info.

But most amazing was that I went to forums and jokingly tried to sign in with password guesses - it did recognize buster. Second attempt got me in. The BIG surprise was I had set that name and password after a forum update back in July of 2006 when it was Mepis.

Still have to test TuxRacer and Kpat, but I'm not expecting any problems. Pleasant to be back and see some of the same names in the forum after all these years.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Quote from: buster on December 12, 2018, 02:09:32 PM
I agree that it doesn't indicate use, but it does seem to indicate curiosity and maybe installs. I was a little shocked by the heights that MXLinux (the successor to Mepis) has reached.
And Manjaro at the top of the heap, almost double that of Mint!
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13