• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

would like to borrow a PCIe video card with hdmi out

Started by ssfc72, November 02, 2018, 07:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

My old desktop integrated video may be giving out.  So I was wondering if anyone had an older video card, as noted above, that I could try, in the spare PCIe slot, in the computer.
This computer has a Firewire port, that I need for transferring video from my camcorder, so I would like to try and keep this year 2008 desktop computer, running.
Thanks!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I have an old AMD card you can have. It has DVI, HDMI and VGA outputs. It was working the last time it was used, probably a year ago?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks Jason, that would be great!  I will send you a pm.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

So, I tried the PCIe video card, that Jason lent me, in the desktop computer, but unfortunately I could not get the computer to use the video card.
I didn't get any hdmi signal to my monitor (not even a BIOS screen), from either the built-in integrated graphics hdmi out or from the hdmi out on the PCIe video card, with the PCIe video card installed.

The only video setting, in the BIOS, is for 3 different video standards. The default was a PCIe/IGFX/PCI or IGFX/PCIe/PCI or PCI/IGFX/PCIe (or something similar to that?? I can't remember exactly)
I left this setting at its default, which was PCIe/IGFX/PCI.

I was unsuccessful in finding a manual, on the internet, for the RS740DVF motherboard, that is suppose to be in this computer.  There are some internet results for the motherboard but they appear to be bogus, since the links want you to register for an account.

So it looks like I am stuck using the integrated video, on this computer. :-(

fox

Out of curiosity, what computer are you using that has this problem? Also, why is the integrated video problematic - are you trying to play video games on it or do heavy video editing?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

The computer is an old Acer, see my first post.
The video is fine except when I stream YouTube movies. The movies I mostly watch are old 1950's, black and white.  I get fringes of blue edges/lines, showing up on the movies. Maybe because the movie scenes are dark, in a lot of cases.
Also the playback of the movie is stuttering slightly and sometimes the sound lags the movie, slightly.

The monitor is new and there is no problem when I run hdmi video from my notebook computer, to the monitor.

dougal

i'm wondering if you simply want to borrow a card to see if the situation on the monitor changes before investing in a card....i have a card you could borrow that i use with a monitor that will only utilize hdmi input so would want it back.

Jason

That's why I gave him my card, Dougal. But it didn't work. Perhaps yours might work better though - it's been a while since I used the card, perhaps it's not functional.

Any success seeing if the problem also occurs in Windows?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Thanks Dougal, I may take you up on your loan of the video card.

I still want to gives Jason's video card another try.

ssfc72

Still no luck getting Jason;s video card to work with my desktop computer.

Dougal, are you still willing to lend out your PCIe video card?  Send me a message on this PLUG Forum and I can arrange to meet you.

Thanks.

ssfc72

OK, my old Acer desktop computer was able to discover and use the Asus PCIe video card, that Dougal loaned to me.  As noted in the above posts, I am using the hdmi port of the video card.

The Windows Vista OS was only able to run the video at a very low resolution. Looked to be the same resolution as the Widows fail safe mode, uses.
I didn't bother to try and load any Windows video drivers, for this card, to get a higher resolution video.

Mint 17.3 booted up in its normal high resolution video, without having to install any additional video drivers.

I watched portions of some old black and white movies on YouTube, that previously, with the built in integrated video chips of the desktop computer, caused blue line/edges to appear around the images of the movie.

Using the PCIe video card, has made a noticeable improvement in the playback of the video, for viewing movies, full screen.

I did not see any of the blue line/edges around the images of the old black and white YouTube movies, that I tested.
I am not sure using the PCIe video card, cured the very slight playback stuttering of the video or the very slight out of sync audio (this issue may have been from the way the video was created and posted to YouTube)??

So now I know I can run a  PCIe video card, successfully, with the old desktop computer.   I can source a new PCIe video card from ebay for about $40 CAD, so I may decide to go ahead and use a dedicated video card in the computer and get a few more years use from the computer.

Jason

Glad that you now know that you can replace the onboard with a PCIe card. I'd suggest you go with a card online that uses the nVidia chipset as these are better supported under Linux.

ssfc72