• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Lubuntu 18.10 - very disappointed!

Started by ssfc72, October 25, 2018, 07:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

This version of the Distro, besides the kernal update, also has a new installer and a new Desktop manager.
There are now a number of issues!

There are issues with the new LXQt desktop as noted in the release notes.
The one major issue I have is that the 1 click shut down icon, on the bottom right of the task bar, (actually 2 clicks, but at least it is better than the 3 clicks, it takes to shut down a lot of Distros) is no longer available. :-(

At this time, Lubuntu does not officially support an upgrade path from 18.04 to 18.10, due to numerous issues.

Another very big bug that I found is that on 2 notebook computers, that I tried, the touchpad tap-to-click, is not supported in this 18.10 distro!!!  The left click button of the touchpad works but tapping the touchpad, to make a left click, does not work.
There is no program, that I was able to find, in the Menu, that allows a trackpad to be set up for clicking, by tapping the touchpad.
I tried to download a trackpad program from the package installer, but I still was unable to get a Menu program to appear, to set up a trackpad.!!

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

When you say touchpad click do you mean tapping with your finger or using the touchpad button (if you have one)? Either way that sounds annoying.

If you're able to make the meeting, it might be interesting to show us it - could use it as a troubleshooting exercise, the audience could give suggestions to try and fix it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Both!  Neither tapping the touchpad or the touchpad button, works. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

That's weird. I remember that some ubuntu-based OSes used to have problems with certain touchpads until you downloaded some package with synaptic in it's name, could look to see if there is one available.

I don't know if you had checked the release notes so I did for Lubuntu and Ubuntu 18.10 and couldn't find any known issues with touchpads but both are really new releases so there's not much there. Couldn't find anything in the forums, either. It is possible you turned off the touchpad in the BIOS?

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

No, nothing to do with the BIOS.  I was running Lubuntu 18.10 on both notebooks, as a Live distro, from a usb pendrive.
Both notebook computers have Mint 18.3 installed and the touchpads work fine.

Jason

Oh, in that case, maybe it's something that an update would fix after it was installed.  I find sometimes that Live versions don't always work the same way as the installed version, especially when you consider that the Live version isn't going to be able to have updates.