• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PLUG Meeting October - QEMU / KVM and a bottom up install of Ubuntu

Started by cod3poet, September 21, 2018, 09:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cod3poet

Hello folks!

As per various discussions had we will be having our regularly scheduled PLUG meeting at Applewood Retirement residence on Oct 1st.

This meeting will be on the third floor as our regular room is unavailable for that date.

I had offered to do QEMU / KVM and a bottom up install of Ubuntu (hopefully not at 640x480 this time)

If anyone else has ideas or wants to contribute I welcome any input.

Bill it was suggested you do a Reboot of your Presentation you up for doing that at some point?

Date: Monday, October 1st, 2018 - 7 PM
1500 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
Parking is on the east (right) side. Entrance is at the front of the building.
We will be meeting on the 3rd floor in the Library this month.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2225242577546078/
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

Thank you for getting this out early, Brian! You might want to post the details on the main page of the website, too. I know most of our regulars check here, but new people won't be aware that announcements are posted here.

Ideally, I could add a link back to YahooGroups announcement list on the main page of the website or create our own list. PHPList is available for on our host, I believe. And then we could get people signed up for either and let it be know that announcements will only be posted there. But that's something I suggest we do in November. My anxiety level is off the rails right now with the campaign so it's not something I can really work on until after the campaign.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

cod3poet

Jason you sir are awesome, and to your Anxiety I say. "Back off he's got this".

But I understand completely and I know in my heart of hearts that you will make what needs to happen happen :)

No worries regarding the rest focus on what you need to and you have my support wherever I can.

*update - Website article added.
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

cod3poet

Wondering who all is coming tonight? -- Also what kind of video connections do they have in the library? if it's hdmi I'll use my surface, if it's VGA I'll have to haul in my NUC.

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

cod3poet

I tore apart a tree with my bare hands. I am le tired. :) Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Jason

Quote from: cod3poet on September 24, 2018, 10:48:05 AM
Wondering who all is coming tonight? -- Also what kind of video connections do they have in the library? if it's hdmi I'll use my surface, if it's VGA I'll have to haul in my NUC.

I know they have VGA for sure on it since I've used that - I don't know if HDMI is available.. It's not in the library, you have to arrange with Laurie so that she leaves out a screen and a portable projector. You should confirm the meeting next week with her anyway.

BrianP

Geez Brian!
Ripped a tree apart ...
I hope you had a permit for that !

cod3poet

I found the leaflet, I oughta give you a smack for that though lol I'll bring photos to the meeting of the process of removal it landed right smack in the middle of a playset and a trampoline other then a few dents and a bent bolt no damage.

Glen-VE3LIZ

Good morning all.  We, Kal and I for sure, will be joining the PLUG group tonight.  Sounds like a good demo.
Glen

fox

Very interesting KVM demo yesterday. The setup from the library was an initial challenge, as the wall monitor was at the back of the room with no outlet nearby and no extension cord. We ended up taking it off the wall, screwing the base back on, and moving it to the front of the room where there was an outlet.

Brian in his usual flashy way ran the demo from a remote image sitting on his home computer. His setup involved 3 or 4 layers of remote desktops; I couldn't follow all of the layers but it was very geeky (read impressive). The bad new was that his Ubuntu 18.10 daily image wouldn't boot up completely, so he ended up downloading a Fedora image and booting it. He also did a comparison of KVM with the usual virtual machine suspects: VirtualBox and VMware. KVM is closer to bare metal, but not that much harder to set up if you use the GUI app "Virt-Manager".

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Sorry that I missed it. Sounds like it was very cool. I will have to schedule my colds more carefully in the future :)