• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Get your weather in the terminal - wego

Started by Jason, September 19, 2018, 01:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I figure, at the very least, that codepoet will appreciate this - a terminal app that shows the weather. See the screenshot below. How do it is covered in the August 2018 issue of Linux Format, which, if you have an account with the Peterborough Public Library, you can access for free.

Wego is written in the Go language and that its only dependency though you will also have to register for a free API key at one of the weather backends. In a Ubuntu/Debian-based distro, simply running this command will install Wego and tell you how to install Go platform if you need it:
sudo apt install wego
The article will step you through everything you need to go and the article might be available through other libraries if they support PressReader. Pretty cool that our library has free digital issues of Linux Format.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

While I'm interested in trying wego, I'm more interested in this access of Linux Format (or is it select articles of Linux Format) through my library card. Which is it? If I click on the magazine link in the article, it just takes me to a window offering to sell me the current edition or a subscription.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Click Sign In and then choose Library and Group. Choose the Peterborough Public Library from the list, then enter library card number and PIN and then Sign In again. At least that's what works for me. I never got a window asking me to buy a subscription. Looks like it only carries the last couple of issues, which in this case, is July and August. There is a PressReader app, at least for Android.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13