• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

looking for hardware

Started by dougal, September 03, 2018, 12:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougal

i'm trying to resurrect a couple of laptops..looking for an older (IDE/Pata) hdd and for the other a stick of  ddr3 RAM (to see if it works)

Jason

I definitely don't have ddr3 ram but might have a PATA 2.5" drive. I'll take a look. Feel free to remind me if I don't post back in a few days.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

What is the spec of the ddr3 ram that you need (e.g., 1333). Also, are relatively small sizes (1 or 2 gb) useful to you? With respect to a PATA drive, what minimum capacity is useful. I might have both, depending on what you need.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

dougal

thanks Mike and Jason

here's the spec sheet info from toshiba: Satellite C650 (PSC2EC-00F001)

Intel® Pentium® B940 Processor (2.0 GHz, 2MB L3 Cache)
with Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology
Intel® HD graphics
up to 1696MB (32bit OS) or up to 1696MB (64bit OS)
dynamically allocated shared graphics memory with 4GB of
system memory.

Standard Memory: 2GB +2GB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
2 memory slots â€"   Slots can be filled with 2GB and 4GB
modules *

*this machine came originally loaded with win7 but i'm not aware that this would be a minimal limit size for a module so i'm thinking it could run with less RAM (1gb sticks) as i've been able to run other systems with 1gb with linux mint xfce or QOS4

I don't have any need for onboard storage so any size hdd (40GB >) would work for a linux load

fox

According to this site, your machine takes 1066 mhz RAM. If I'm reading this correctly, I have two PC3-8500S modules, 1gb each, that should work. You're welcome to try them.

dougal

thanks Mike , what works for you to make that happen?

fox

I'll bring them home today. If you're in no hurry, I can bring them to the next PLUG meeting. If you are in a hurry, I can probably bring them to Tim's or someplace downtown. Also, I'm going to look at home this afternoon for a PATA 2.5" drive. I think I have one that's 120 gb in a case and if so, I'm happy to give you the drive and case just to see this stuff get used.

Jason

Found the PATA 2.5" drive I have. It's a Seagate but it's only 40 GB so obviously Mike's would be better. But I can't see ever using it so you can have it in case you ever come across another notebook needing a drive.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

dougal

great, thanks Jason, i'll email you to make arrangements.

fox

Unfortunately, I can't find the 120 I thought I had. I may have taken it to school for recycling. However, I did find two more 1gb RAM modules, PC8600. You're welcome to all four.

dougal

thanks Mike 
i'm scheduled to volunteer monday evening at the Tool Library so won't be attending the PLUG gathering....meeting at Tim's would work for me...when would that work for you?

fox

I could meet you there tonight at 7:30 to bring you the RAM, but I can't stay. Does that work for you?

dougal

that works for me...see you at Tim's at 7.30pm
thanks Mike

fox

Sorry I wasn't there. Your posting came just after I last checked, so I thought you hadn't seen mine in time. I am around this afternoon and evening, so we could try same tonight or earlier, but only if I see a posting from you by late afternoon or sooner.

dougal

I wondered if that might have been the case and I had  no other way of contacting you..I've tried email thru this site with no reply so wasn't sure if that was functional....i'm available today also, I could come to your place (don't know where you live) or you could come here, or we could meet somewhere, whatever suits you best...I thought I had notifications working for this thread but it didn't work ,I'll try sending an email so we can exchange 'offline'.