• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PLUG Meeting September - (re)Schedule

Started by cod3poet, August 30, 2018, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cod3poet

They are booked every second Monday of the month, so the dates we have available are the 24th and October the 15th.

As it stands right now we'll be having a MUG tonight at 898 Monaghan Rd, Peterborough, ON K9J 5K4

I'll be there at around 8:30 tonight for those who wish to join.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Glen-VE3LIZ

HI.  Kal and I are in town and want to know where and when the meeting is.  I will monitor this site as we are not on social sites.
Glen, VE3LIZ from Oshawa.

Glen-VE3LIZ

Hi Brian.  Just saw you last post and we are now at the coffee shop. See all who shows up.
Glen.

Paul Kneeland

In the Olden days, we had the General Meeting on the first Monday of every month regardless of whether it was a holiday or not. It was simpler that way.

Jason

Quote from: cod3poet on September 10, 2018, 12:00:43 PM
They are booked every second Monday of the month, so the dates we have available are the 24th and October the 15th.

As it stands right now we'll be having a MUG tonight at 898 Monaghan Rd, Peterborough, ON K9J 5K4

I'll be there at around 8:30 tonight for those who wish to join.

September 17th isn't available? Regarding October, we've previously booked with Laurie for the 1st. I'll send you the email, Brian.

I kind of agree with Paul here. Just have the meeting the first Monday every month regardless of holiday. If people can't make it, that's fine but we usually have had lots that do, even on holidays. Or find another date (like third Monday or whatever) but keep it consistent.

Also, though it's more work setting up, Laurie has said we can always meet in the library as I don't think she schedules anything in there. In fact, in October we will have to do that.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

So do we have a PLUG meeting this Monday or not? I can come if it's this week or any Monday in September.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

cod3poet

I do not have Applewood booked for any time in September, and I think there is a general consensus that the first Monday of the month Rain or shine is the way to go, Or at least so is the belief I have seen here in the forums and in the last MUG.

As an alternative I'll throw together the slides I had prepared and the code snippets for using KVM for virtualization (rather than virtualbox or vmware player) I currently use KVM to virualize a server 2016 server on Ubuntu 18.04. Even Tux can have a little mud on his face right?
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

I'm not really clear on what you're saying. Does that mean we aren't having a meeting on Monday, Septemeber 17? It's really up to you.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Paul Kneeland

Perhaps we should make a Fresh Start with a general meetings on October 1st (Only 2 weeks away). In the meantime, someone could make a MUG if they wished.

Jason

Quote from: Paul Kneeland on September 16, 2018, 05:41:57 PM
Perhaps we should make a Fresh Start with a general meetings on October 1st (Only 2 weeks away). In the meantime, someone could make a MUG if they wished.

At this point, probably a good idea. There isn't really enough time to get word out for tonight. And no point having it a week before the next meeting.

ssfc72

Is anyone interested in meeting up for a PLUG Mug, at Tim Hortons, Monaghan rd, this evening?
I could be there around 7 pm.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on September 17, 2018, 07:45:19 AM
Is anyone interested in meeting up for a PLUG Mug, at Tim Hortons, Monaghan rd, this evening?
I could be there around 7 pm.

I have a Council meeting at 5:30 pm. It's like staff is trying to rush out as many decisions as possible before the new council takes over! Second meeting in two weeks. But hoping it will finish up soon enough I can get there for just after 8 pm.

dougal

i'm having a boot challenge with a toshiba satellite that i'd like to bring to the MUG tonight...
*no splash screen to access boot menu/reset boot sequence
  it recognizes bootable usb flashdrive with multiboot but can't use up/down keys to select distros so it loops trying to load  hdd as default ;it will boot usb flash live session with single distro but when i go to install the distro the installer crashes; doesn't recognize optical bootable disk either.
read about possible 'fast boot' being enabled thus no splash screen, tried power button fix, no beeps.  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006610/mini-pcs.html
similar to Jason i could be there shortly after 8pm

Jason

If you don't get help for it, tonight, post this in the support section. Try pushing F12 repeatedly to see if you get a boot menu and option to go into setup from there. The only Fast Boot I was familiar with until now was the one in Windows 10 but it doesn't cause problems booting but it can make it impossible to "see" the Windows drive(s) from inside Linux until it's disabled.

ssfc72

Ok, Dougal, if you are coming this evening at 8 pm, i will make sure i am there, at Timmy s.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service