• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Sparky Linux 4.4 LXDE, 64 bit

Started by ssfc72, August 21, 2016, 07:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I have just played around with this Distro and it seems to be quite nice!  Very quick  operating.  There are several versions of Quirky and  I chose the LXDE, 64 bit version.
Sparky is Debian Testing, based.

I ran it from a bootable usb pendrive, on my new HP X360 11.6" notebook.  There was a trackpad issue, where tapping was not working.  I went into the trackpad utiity and was able to set the scrooing to work, but setting up the tapping, did not work, using the utility. The trackpad buttons did work, thankfully.

I Googled the issue and found a simple command line fix, that worked well.  The only problem is, that there is no persistence option that can be setup on the bootable usb pendrive. Therefore this command to fix the trackpad issue, will have to be set, everytime i boot from the usb pendrive.

Sparky was able to recognize the wifi on this HP X360 notebook and I got the wifi working without any problem, at all

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Flash video does not work, on this distribution, with the stock programs.
I was unable to find the Chrome or Chromium browser, in the Synaptic repositories, in order to try and view flash based movies.

So, no I won t be installing this distribution, for everyday use.

I am checking out a few Distros, to see if they can recognize the wifi card in this HP notebook, without having to issue a command line instruction, to get wifi working.

I suspect it is Distros with an older kernal, that are unable pick up the wifi card. I think perhaps the newer Linux kernels may be OK.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

You can always download the latest kernel and try it on whatever distro you are using. I think they're up to 3.7.1
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on August 22, 2016, 10:34:10 AM
Flash video does not work, on this distribution, with the stock programs.
I was unable to find the Chrome or Chromium browser, in the Synaptic repositories, in order to try and view flash based movies.

You can go to http://google.com/chrome and download and install Chrome from there. The install of it will fetch other packages and update your sources list.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"You can go to http://google.com/chrome and download and install Chrome from there. The install of it will fetch other packages and update your sources list."

And by far the best way to do it. The Chromium is a pain to work with from the repos.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.