• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Freedom Mobile offering new $15/$25 a month plans with cheap data

Started by Jason, July 20, 2018, 04:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I just read in a Financial Post article that Freedom is offering new plans with data that are cheaper than the big guys. The main part of the story is in the subtitle:
QuoteFreedom is offering one gigabyte of data and unlimited text for $25 a month and 250 megabytes of data, 100 minutes of talk and unlimited texts for $15 a month

Not bad. When my agreement is up and if my phone is still performing adequately, I may very well downgrade to the $25/month or even $15/month plan. There is a catch though:
QuoteCustomers must register for an account and sign up for auto pay from a credit card or bank account. If they don’t, they must pay an additional $5 per month on these plans and all Freedom plans going forward.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I just did a Google search for,  Freedom Mobile Lindsay, to see if they had finally got service in the Lindsay area.

All I got was postings of people having problems with outages.

You might want to check further into their service reliability?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

This caught my attention. Right now with Koodo Prepaid, I pay $15/mo. for texting only and then add boosters for phone and data that carry over from month to month. I never use 250 gb of data in a month. For the same price, I would get phone and data added without having to buy boosters. Based on my use of the boosters, I pay around $22/mo for my service. Question is what I would give up in service when I'm not in Peterborough, as the home coverage is spotty outside of settled Ontario and a few cities in other provinces. All in all, my Koodo prepaid service is excellent and reasonably priced, but I hope they respond to Freedom's offering with a cheap ($25 or less) plan that includes at least 250 gb of data.

If you check Freedom's cell coverage zone map, you'll see that there is no "home" or even "variable" (home/away) service in Lindsay. If you have to use their away coverage, you pay extra per unit fees. So I don't think this would be attractive to you, Bill.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on July 20, 2018, 07:32:18 PM
I just did a Google search for,  Freedom Mobile Lindsay, to see if they had finally got service in the Lindsay area.

All I got was postings of people having problems with outages.

You might want to check further into their service reliability?

I'm using them right now, Bill. Their data isn't as fast (as Telus, the only one I could compare it to) and sometimes drops out but right now I pay $45 for 4 GB of data, unlimited calling and texting, which includes the phone - it would be $40 without.

But of course, I just use it in Peterborough. Wasn't thinking of outside their networks which would charge extra as Fox points out.

Many of their phones have wifi calling (mine does) which means at least you can make incoming/outgoing calls over wifi for free. Not sure of the quality but I would guess it would depend on the particular wifi signal and how congested it might be.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

You may also have to use one of their phones if you want to use LTE as they're on a different band than other providers with LTE. You can check if your phone is compatible with their LTE here:

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/bring-your-own-device-to-freedom

ssfc72

Thanks for the additional info about Freedom Mobile, Jason.  That's good to know, that you find their cell service to be good in Peterborough.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on July 21, 2018, 03:29:27 AM
You may also have to use one of their phones if you want to use LTE as they're on a different band than other providers with LTE. You can check if your phone is compatible with their LTE here:

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/bring-your-own-device-to-freedom
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

For what it's worth, I checked for compatibility with my ZTE Axon mini, and it is compatible with their network.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13