• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

What distro(s) are you using and why do you like it?

Started by Jason, July 18, 2018, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

If you're using more than one, name them all but mention the one you use the most. And do you use Linux (any Linux) more than other OSes?

I'll start. I've been using Kubuntu 18.04 for about 3 weeks now on my desktop which is pretty much the main computer I use. Before that I was using Linux Mint 18.3 KDE Edition. It might just be my feeling right now but I really like Plasma mainly because of the File Manager - Dolphin and the menu system. Yes, it looks like Windows but aside from tiles I find the Windows interface 10 interface looks really modern and so does Plasma. KDE didn't feel this way until Plasma came out and it finally seems stable when I used to have issues with past versions of Kubuntu. 

I also prefer Ubuntu-based (or Debian-based) distros because many of the programs I like to use work best in them. I would have stayed with LM but their KDE edition and though I tried using LM 19 Cinnamon and adding KDE via Kubuntu repos, there were some issues. I have to say that Kubuntu is pretty polished now. I don't think their software manager is all that great (Discover) but it does the job and I could certainly replace it with something else if I really wanted.
On my Toshiba Ultrabook, I switch distros on a regular basis just to try different things. Right now it has Arch and I added KDE and its full selection of software (must be over 100 programs). Once I figured out how to get X configured properly, installing KDE was a snap though it took a long time to download all those packages.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I use Mint 18.3 on my primary dual boot, HP notebook computer and also on some of my other computers.  I like it because for me, Mint makes using the Linux OS the easiest of other Distros, that I have tried.   I tried the Mint 19 version but had to go back to Mint 18 because of issues with WINE not installing and other issues.

I am also running Lubuntu on my newer Dell XPS note book computer (dual boot with Win 10).  The Dell will eventually be used as my primary notebook computer.
I still am assessing Lubuntu but I am quite pleased at how quick the desktop responds to get things done.

I run Mint 17.3 on my older desktop computer (dual boot with Win Vista on HD 1 and Win 7 on HD 2) because Mint 18 or any other new Distro won't work my older Kodak printer/scanner to scan a document.

I use Linux as an OS exclusively and only boot into Win 7 to run a couple of programs that won't run under the Linus OS.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Ubuntu has been my main distro since I switched to Linux from the Mac OS. All but one of my computers are Macs (excepting my research lab), and all are dual boot. On my office iMac, however, I am presently using Mint 19 as my main distro. This was the result of difficulty I was having installing Ubuntu and pretty much anything but Mint 18 due to issues with the fairly new Radeon video card. Since Ubuntu moved to the 4.15 kernel, those issues have disappeared, and I am now deciding between Mint 19 and Ubuntu 18.04 as my main distro for that computer. I use Ubuntu 18.04 on my Dell laptop, but I also have Arch and Windows 10 installed. The Arch is more for fun; I put it there after Jason did his great presentation on installing Arch and I keep it up mainly to see if it will break. It hasn't in more than a year.

At home my older (2011) iMac is running Ubuntu 18.04, but I also have pop!_OS installed (along with the Mac OS High Sierra, which I rarely use). I also have an old (2009) Mac mini upstairs, which I rarely use. It has Ubuntu 18.04 running, and is the only computer running the KDE desktop. All others are running Gnome. I used to use Unity, but switched after Ubuntu went back to Gnome in version 17.10. Unity runs OK in 18.04, but it isn't that different from Gnome, so I went with the flow when Ubuntu switched. The only other desktop I use regularly is Cinnamon in Mint 19 on my office Mac. I have Cinnamon set up to resemble Gnome (applications arranged on a vertical bar on the left of the display), so again, not that different. I have played with openbox from time to time, and I have that running in Bunsenlabs on a very old netbook.

Why do I like Ubuntu (and Mint)? First, I find that debian-based distros are easy to install, use and troubleshoot, and I have now become as used to them as I was of the Mac OS. Second, I like the default setup on Ubuntu 18.04, so I don't spend a lot of time modifying the setup (other than using a different theme and desktop picture). Third, I found that battery life in Ubuntu is better than almost any other distro, including light ones, when set up with TLP. Fourth, I haven't found anything compelling in other Debian or Ubuntu-based distros to entice me to switch (with the previously noted exception of Mint on my 5k office iMac). Fifth, the software in Ubuntu is reasonably up-to-date for any distro that is supported for several years.

I do try different distros from time to time; the main ones being openSUSE and Fedora when recent versions come out. I have a soft spot for openSUSE (first distro I ever tried; back in the 90's), and have considered using it as a main distro even recently. The kernel of Tumbleweed was new enough to boot up my office iMac without problems, but a testing version broke once after an update, so I decided I wouldn't ever use it (or any rolling distro) for serious work. I did test openSUSE Leap 15 when it came out, but the kernel was 4.14 and it wouldn't boot my iMac without "nomodeset". I will try it again when the next version of Leap is released.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

BusterE

I like Mint because of all the pretty colours, and I like Suse because it's easy to spell, and I like Lite because it's even easier to spell.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

Thanks for your input guys. I wish more of the people actually subscribed to this forum pipe up but maybe soon :) Linux Mint is still pretty popular in the group, I see. I wonder if anybody else in the group uses Ubuntu like you, Fox?

I'm testing Linux Lite 4.0 on my Toshiba because of Buster's glowing comments on it. It's not that fast of a processor so I'd like something lite and what is more lite than Lite itself? First impressions is that it's really pleasant when you boot into it. I'll try to remember to use the laptop later and upload a screenshot of the default setup.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Since joining PLUG, I have watched a definite migration among members from Ubuntu to Mint. I expect that at present, few members other than me use Ubuntu. Maybe some of you can prove me wrong?  :-\

I read the very positive DistroWatch review on Linux Lite, and was impressed with what it had to say. Lite reminds me a bit of the approach Mint takes, which is to take basic Ubuntu and add some small but useful and distinctive extra features. I would be tempted to try it myself, but Ubuntu is plenty fast on my computers and the nice extras Lite adds are not, in my mind, worth the trade-off of moving to a derivative distro. The one computer I have that might operate better with Lite than Ubuntu is my Acer netbook, but the Bunsenlabs distro I have on it is undoubtedly faster than Lite would be (openbox vs XFCE). In any case, Jason or Buster, consider doing a presentation on Lite when our regular meetings start up again.

fox

Quote from: BusterE on July 19, 2018, 02:26:46 PM
I like Mint because of all the pretty colours, and I like Suse because it's easy to spell, and I like Lite because it's even easier to spell.
I like Buster because it's easy to spell, but BusterE???  ???

dougal

as some of you know i'm new to linux and wanting to transition from ms..originally my experiment was somewhat limited by the hardware I had available (10yr old acer aspire netbook with broadcom wifi card),this had it's challenges especially the wifi bit until Mike brought his experience to play and suggested Elementary... so I had played with Lite and Puppy before switching to that distro...since then I have 'acquired' a new to me tower and thus could broaden my choice base of distos (this may be a major supposition on my part)..i chose mint cinnamon for a couple of reasons:mainly because it came recommended by members of the group and seemed to have a large user base locally and there was a significant sized global community for comprehensive development and online support.. so if I got stuck on something I could reach out locally and/or globally; that it was very 'windows-like'(gui-based),so the learning curve was simplified...also, like many other distros, it would function well on older hardware so I could use existing stock..I waited until LM19 was released to start the latest step in the transition thinking that a LTS distro would give me a large time cushion for comfort. As a sidenote to this experiment: i've also started to read about some of the more common practices that we as internet users do that might be less secure and or conciously chosen and would like to investigate how to 'tighten-up' my exposure to these (with free or payed subscription services)...this was also part of the reason to move away from MS.... ....one such situation is using a 'live session' on my acer to do any banking , online purchasing or filling in forms with personal info and that being the only time that machine is connected to the internet...so learning new practices and programs is added to the new OS experiment.....some of the above may seem flawed or erroneous , so I welcome all comments and feedback...

Jason

Dougal, I don't think you can go wrong with Linux Mint, the same way people used to say nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM. I don't know the specs of your new-to-you desktop but if you find it a little slow with the Cinnamon version, you can try the MATE or Xfce edition.

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving the computer connected to the Internet all the time, but booting up with a live Linux bootstick isn't a bad idea for online banking and other financial or private transactions.

BusterE

Dougal, there are some simple facts that might make life easier for you:

#1. At least 3 of us were where you are almost 2 decades ago.  And we all learned the great truth over the years: Most popular Linux systems work.

#2. Much of the software that you will interact with each day is available in all the systems - say Firefox, Thunderbird and so on. So pick an easy system.

#3. Mike Fox is an oddity (in many ways  :) ) who has a video card and monitor that is 'unusual' for Linux. Most of us never think of these things. Don't worry about them.

#4. As our former wise leader said, "You can't go wrong with Mint."

#5. And Harry's fundamental rule: "Avoid any system that requires lots of work to install or maintain."

There you have it. 20 years of wisdom condensed into 4 rules. ( Rule 3 is just a jab at Mike.)

Enjoy the playing around with Linux. (That could be the most important rule of all!) And you will manage the same way the rest of us did, but we know now we shouldn't have worried so much.

BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

Quote from: BusterE on July 20, 2018, 08:53:18 PM
There you have it. 20 years of wisdom condensed into 4 rules. ( Rule 3 is just a jab at Mike.)

Geez, you're right. We should just close the forums and leave it at that :-) I'm just kidding, of course.

Since you're in Peterborough, Dougal, I can drop by to help out should you ever need it as may others.

I do want to add one rule, though:

#6. Backup, backup, backup. Unless you have no electronic files to lose, which is hard to imagine, always have your files in three places, two if you're particularly lazy.