• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Timeshift - how much space does it take up?

Started by Jason, July 17, 2018, 05:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

In this post in a topic on the new Linux Mint 19, Buster asked how much space the Timeshift backups use. I have given an answer that it depended on how many snapshots you have which depends on the schedule you set up for backups and how many you keep. Which it obviously does still but here's my example to give you a ballpark.

I set Timeshift to backup daily and weekly and to keep 5 daily backups and 3 weekly backups. Since I started using it, I now have all of those plus one on-demand backup which the screenshot shows. Backups are saved in /home/timeshift the way I have it setup and the entire directory takes up 13.9 GB. I'm only backing up the system, not /home, which is how it is setup by default and the size of that is 8.4 GB.

So the answer is, not a lot considering you're backing up the entire root (minus home), not even twice the size for 9 backups and that's without using compression. Note that this is obviously using one complete backup for the first snapshot and then incremental changes for each of the others. Only the files that are new or changed are backed up in each incremental backup.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13