• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

World Cup Soccer, today 11 am, Germany vs Mexico on CHEX tv

Started by ssfc72, June 17, 2018, 10:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Stunning result! Today's fixtures should be pretty predictable, but Brazil ties? So who knows? What is this world coming to!

By the way Spain/Portugal was some of the best football I've ever seen.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

I only have over-the-air HD TV, using rabbit ears, from CHEX and TVO, so I rely on what soccer they broadcast.

Otherwise, using the internet, I go to tvplayer.com and a VPN service to get all the matches. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

Noteworthy that the champion from 4 years ago, Germany, got knocked out early. In the last 5 world cups, which happen only every 4 years, the previous year's champions have been knocked out early - Germany, France, Italy, Spain.

Unusual in any sport.

ssfc72

I guess having to wait every 4 years, for a World Soccer event, can result in changes to a soccer team. :-)

buster

You are right of course, but the country and its soccer culture don't change, while the players may. Germany has NEVER been knocked out at the group stage. Brazil, England, Argentina, Portugal etc still in, as expected. Costa Rico, Australia, Iceland, etc out early, as expected. It's like Canada not being  in the world playoffs in Curling or Hockey, or the USA knocked out early in basketball.

A few commentators suggested the manager/coach favoured the older players because of their successes in the past, and used the system from 4 years ago on the field. The players were too slow, and the old system was ripped apart by new exploits in the modern attacks.

Ah well, Canada was there only once, in 1986, and we scored exactly zero goals. So Germans shouldn't complain.

ssfc72

I am enjoying the British tv commercials on the ITV tv channel,for the England/Belgium match, today!

ssfc72

I caught the last part of the Uruguay/Portugal match, yesterday/Saturday  A very good match to watch!
The calibre of play seemed to me, to be much better than the previous round, England match.

For the previous England match, the ball seemed to be landing on the players chest, whereas for the Uruguay match, yesterday, the ball was landing precisely at the players feet.

buster

Uru/Port was excellent. 3 beautiful goals! Expect Brazil vs Mexico to be good as well, but Brazil 'should' win. But who knows?

buster

The Belgium win over Japan, overcoming a 2 goal deficit in the final 21 minutes, and then scoring a winner with seconds to go with a full field counterattack, is maybe the best football game I've ever seen! Great passing, attacking football. Exciting, dramatic.

ssfc72

Wow, sorry i missed that match.
I saw the last nit of the Meico match.  Not as exciting.

ssfc72

Well, France are the World Cup football champs of 2018, beating Croatia 4-2.
I caught the last 20 minutes of the game, but I did record the whole game in HD, on my computer, using my usb HDTV over the air digital TV dongle, to capture the  broadcast from CHEX tv. :-)